What size needle should I use for my dog?

My dog has an infection and needs a shot of penicillin, however, all we have is a 12 cc syringe and a large gauge needle for our goats, which is way too big for a dog. She is a black lab and weighs about 100 lbs, so she will need 1 cc of medicine, but I…

My dog has an infection and needs a shot of penicillin, however, all we have is a 12 cc syringe and a large gauge needle for our goats, which is way too big for a dog. She is a black lab and weighs about 100 lbs, so she will need 1 cc of medicine, but I…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What size needle should I use for my dog?...

• What size needle should I use for my dog?

What size needle should I use for my dog? Other Pet Discussions
      My dog has an infection and needs a shot of penicillin, however, all we have is a 12 cc syringe and a large gauge needle for our goats, which is way too big for a dog. She is a black lab and weighs about 100 lbs, so she will need 1 cc of medicine, but I am trying to find the smallest gauge I can that will still allow for the penicillin to pass through. In case you've never seen penicillin, it's very thick and cannot pass through something as small as an insulin needle. Any suggestions?I have a feeling that ya'll are going to start saying, go see a vet, and whatnot, but vets out here are way too expensive ($200 for him to look at a snake bite and say "well, she'll be fine") and I've tried calling the vet about what size he thinks I should use, but he doesn't think that people should give animals shots at home, we should come to his office and get charged $30 for 1cc of penicillin out of a 100cc bottle that you can buy for $10 @ a feed store, and $10 for a $.80 syringe/needle set-up, not to mention the $75 appt to even get in to see him... so, any help besides consulting a vet would be great... thanks for all ya'll's answers!I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that I would like an answer from someone who is somewhat experienced in giving ANIMALS shots, not someone who separates pills... thanks!I ended up getting a 20 gauge needle, but I will be choosing a best answer shortly, once the 24 hour wait period is over.... thanks!

What size needle should I use for my dog? Other Pet Discussions