What paper work do i need to breed a stallion?

Ok I know what all i need to do with the horse. He is registered he just got his cogins test done. Also had blood drawn. He is a proven stud and i just need to know if i need to get a licence of some sort in order to keep breeding him.

Ok I know what all i need to do with the horse. He is registered he just got his cogins test done. Also had blood drawn. He is a proven stud and i just need to know if i need to get a licence of some sort in order to keep breeding him....
    Other Pet Discussions : What paper work do i need to breed a stallion?...

• What paper work do i need to breed a stallion?

What paper work do i need to breed a stallion? Other Pet Discussions
      Ok I know what all i need to do with the horse. He is registered he just got his cogins test done. Also had blood drawn. He is a proven stud and i just need to know if i need to get a licence of some sort in order to keep breeding him.

What paper work do i need to breed a stallion? Other Pet Discussions
    • You don't need a license to breed horses. If you are just breeding with other horses on your farm, you aren't required to do anything. If you want to produce registerable horses you just need to have both horses registered before you breed.

• I live in the Midwest and I don't know of any license you need .Sounds to me like you are all set to start breeding .If he is a Quarter horse call the AQHA if you are a member to be sure on this. I am sorry if I didn't answer the question on what you wanted earlier.

• Bravo! I know many stallion owners who start breeding without even knowing they need to do what you already have on your own! You don't need a license to continue breeding him. To me it sounds like you are ready to go! The only thing I want to mention is that it is a VERY good idea to have a watertight breeding contract between you and the owners of the mares your stud will be bred to. Contact an equine lawyer (preferable in the county you live in or that the stud is in. if there isn't one, a equine lawyer in the state you or the horse is in will work) and talk to them about what type of breeding you will be doing, what the stud fee is, other fees (AI fee, shipping fee, etc.), do you offer a Live Foal Guarantee (LFG), etc. Get their advice on the contract as to what it should cover and how to best protect you in the event the client turns sour. Make sure that when you have the contract, each mare owner signs TWO (2) copies (one for you & one for them) and that you make extra copies of your copy so that you have a back-up copy.That may all sound really excessive, but sadly there are people who do try to scam stud owners and things like that. Also, having different types of insurance on the stallion is a good idea. Talk to a local equine insurance agent for the various types of insurance, costs and what they cover.If you're in the California area I can give you a list of names for both equine lawyers and insurance agents.Congratulations & good luck with the breeding!