How do I get my cat into a carrier to go to the vet?

I bought a carrier a while ago, but my cat is so clever she won't go near it and if i try and put her in there she spreads her legs so I can't! Now I don't travel with her, but I can't even get her to the vet as this point.

I bought a carrier a while ago, but my cat is so clever she won't go near it and if i try and put her in there she spreads her legs so I can't! Now I don't travel with her, but I can't even get her to the vet as this point....
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my cat into a carrier to go to the vet?...

• How do I get my cat into a carrier to go to the vet?

How do I get my cat into a carrier to go to the vet? Other Pet Discussions
      I bought a carrier a while ago, but my cat is so clever she won't go near it and if i try and put her in there she spreads her legs so I can't! Now I don't travel with her, but I can't even get her to the vet as this point.

How do I get my cat into a carrier to go to the vet? Other Pet Discussions
    • buy some catnip, put it in the back of the carrier and sit by casually while the cat is overcome by the aroma and walks in might want to wear gloves while closing the carrier behind her

• they are such clever animals if you have someone to help you then two is better than one I also have the same problem I just lift her up & put the kennel upright & slide her in this way you can keep the back legs closed toogood luck

• I leave the cage open and in the lounge room where my cat spends abit of time, she is very nosey and will often just hop in herself. Try putting some food in it as well and just let her get use to it.

• Take away it's food and water just for a half day, and then put the food and water in the carrier and wait, but don't let the cat know your waiting. They r very smart animals. Try it what u got to loose. good luck.

• First hide that carrier, they even know the sound of the carrier, Then when the cat is relaxed, even if the carrier is in the bedroom out of sight, which is best, then carry kitty in thee and quickly put kitty in there. When i the car put a sheet over the carrier to protect it from seeing the movement of the vechile and other ones, keep windows rolled up and the air conditioner on so kitty won't overheat. Try first early morn appts. Kitty will cry the way there and be quiet on the way back once the routine is recognised by kitty. I have had the problem for 30 years. They hare that carrier, I do, however leave it out with a blanket in it i a room and they feel free to go in it and sleep, it is a good thing for them.

• i have 2 cats they both hate the carrier. but when i hve to use it i usually will grab Annabelle up and hold her back legs together and place her in it face first and she knows it's time to go and she gets to the back until i'm ready for her to come out. Now with my other cat Tom he is much larger he weighs 16 pounds i have to stand it up on end and put him in head first so he can't jump back at me. even though most of the time he rides in my lap to the vets office or on road trips, he seems to be happier that way and he never tries to get away. alos have you tried getting a harness with a leash my cats love that they get to go outside and eat grass and play. try that and take them to the vet that way. cause when you pull back on the leash they think they are being held and lay down so they don't get away from you.

• I just use the direct approach. I stand the carrier on end, lift the cat up by the scruff with one hand and hold the back legs closed with the other. Then I lower the cat into the carrier, let go and close the carrier while it's still on end. Putting a towel or blanket in ahead of time is a big help in case she pees while she's in there. Don't put food in the carrier prior to a vet visit. If she's having surgery or needs to be sedated, food is a big no-no!Trust me-- as a vet tech, I have to wrassle cats in and out of carriers all day long and this is often the easiest way. In your case, the hardest part will be getting her into the carrier for the trip to the vet. If she's like most cats, she'll happily go in all by herself for the trip home-- "Hey, that's my ticket outta here!!".

• Leave the door open in a semi-private place and put one of your "to be sacrificed" sweaters inside for a pad. My Stimpy uses her cattaxi for her private place. It wont happen overnight though. Cats HATE sudden changes, as do most of us. Shes worth the effort.

• Get a carrier that opens from the top, it's a lot easier. Then put the carrier out w/o the cat seeing it. Grab him/her by his/her legs and place the cat in it from the top.

• My cats carrier is always in one spot with a towel in it, I often catch her sleeping in it and it has become her safety zone. I do not make a big deal out of it, I just put it in one place left it there and she went to it. Now she does not fear it and I have no problems getting her into it. Just remember to keep it out 24/7 in the same spot and your cat will go to it. If you only take it out to bring kitty to the vet it's no wonder you cannot get her in it. Be sure to put it someplace she likes. You can put a couple of yummies or a favorite toy in there for her and when she goes to it just leave her alone. Trust me this way works.

• I used to use the methods above, but my vet suggested this: Put your cat into a pillow case. Turn the carrier on end. Put pillow case and cat into the carrier and close the door.Works great. They do get wise to this, but it is easier to trick them into the pillow case than into the carrier.Also, at the vet, they are more comortable hiding in the pillow case than they are being out in the open.