What is the best dog for an active family that lives in a suburban neighborhood?

I would like the dog to be a medium or large breed.

What is the best dog for an active family that lives in a suburban neighborhood?

I would like the dog to be a medium or large breed....
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best dog for an active family that lives in a suburban neighborhood?...

• What is the best dog for an active family that lives in a suburban neighborhood?

What is the best dog for an active family that lives in a suburban neighborhood? Other Pet Discussions
      I would like the dog to be a medium or large breed.

What is the best dog for an active family that lives in a suburban neighborhood? Other Pet Discussions
    • i would go with a Lab, German Shepherd, or Burmese Mountain Dog however pure breeds tend to have more problems(hips, joints etc...) later in life. A mixed breed or mutt from your local animal shelter can make an amazing pet. I had a mutt growing up and she was the best dog on the planet.

• u have to get a terrier, a lab or a border collie, we have had each of these dogs and let me tell you! they are beautful dogs with kind and loving natures, they are also very active.

• the other day a dog was wandering around outside so we hooked her up to a leesh and brought her into our backyard. she did laps. she just ran and ran and ran. we found out she belonged to the neighbor's daughter. she was a pitbull-border collie mix and she was as sweet as could be. we have a boxer and we love her sooooo much. they are prone to cancer but love to run. they live 8-10 years average. amazing family dogs and great guard dogs/protectors. they are always needing love and playtime. not great with other dogs but can be if introduced to them in an early stage in life. pretty simple to train but can be stubborn. i love my dog!! =]]

• a lab, golden, or chesapeake bay retriever, or a siberian husky. the husky requires a lot of exercise and is not a good dog to off leash.........ever, but as long as you give them exercise, runs, dogparks, scootering/urban mushing, they can make a great pet, i have two huskies and a lab.

• For a first dog, for a family that has never had a dog before, the best choices are retrievers: Labradors, Goldens, Flat Coats or Curly Coats, Standard Poodles, Portuguese Water Dogs and Newfoundlands.They are smart, easily trained, natural retrievers, sweet-natured and unlikely to bite or show aggression to children. Some individuals may be somewhat protective, but they are more interested in doing what you want, so taking them to obedience school is usually a joy.Obviously, the Newf is much bigger than the others. The Standard Poodle and the Portuguese Water Dog need to be clipped about every 6-8 weeks. Neither should be maintained in a show coat; that's ridiculous. Clipping them down to a uniform inch or two is enough. Labradors can be bulldozers, Goldens are so popular that some people are breeding them for money, not sweetness, so be careful to buy one that has OTCH before the names of both parents and some of the other dogs in the 3-generation pedigree. Flats and Curlies are hard to find. Porties are hot right now because Ted Kennedy gave the Obama's one. Pick a breeder who has been in business for ten years or more.

• A small or medium sized dog may be right for you. I guess it would be best for you to try this short quiz, http://bit.ly/16YUum It will guide you in finding the right breed for you. Good luck!