How should I introduce fruit and vegetables to my parakeets?

Whenever I put something new in the cage, they sit on the opposite side and glare at it like it's evil. Do I just need to be persistent? Is it best to hang the new food item from a bar of the cage or set it in a food bowl (the one with their seed or a…

Whenever I put something new in the cage, they sit on the opposite side and glare at it like it's evil. Do I just need to be persistent? Is it best to hang the new food item from a bar of the cage or set it in a food bowl (the one with their seed or a…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How should I introduce fruit and vegetables to my parakeets?...

• How should I introduce fruit and vegetables to my parakeets?

How should I introduce fruit and vegetables to my parakeets? Other Pet Discussions
      Whenever I put something new in the cage, they sit on the opposite side and glare at it like it's evil. Do I just need to be persistent? Is it best to hang the new food item from a bar of the cage or set it in a food bowl (the one with their seed or a new one)?

How should I introduce fruit and vegetables to my parakeets? Other Pet Discussions
    • this is what I do...I feed seed one day and dry things like bread and lettuce on top of the seed. The next day, I feed wet veggies and fruits. At the end of the day, I dump the seed and start over. They won't eat it if it's not in the seed cup.

• It's always polite to introduce the female vegetable to the male and female parakeets first, then the female fruit. Fruits tend to be a little sweeter in disposition, and not as apt to get their feathers ruffled, so always remember: Vegetables first, then your fruit. Of course, if the fruit is rather advanced in age, or generally prickly, you might want to adjust this pattern.

• you definitely wanna put the fruit in a separate bowl. place it right buy the food bowl and put fresh in it every day, birds are very curious and will go to find out what it is. it is also helpful to chop it up small other wise the may get frustrated and not want it if they cant bite pieces off, give them a few days to adjust to the new ness

• Remove the birds' water from the cage for two hours, so they will be thirsty. Then place some damp vegetables in the cage. Being thirsty, they will probably try it. Once they have tried vegetables, they will like them, so you won't have to trick them any more. Put the water back in the cage, of course.

• You have to start by chopping it up small and mixing it in with a little seed, or in a bowl next to their regular seed bowl. Do this every day a couple times a day, after a week or so eventually they will get curious, and start to investiate. It is very important though, that you do not leave the food in the cage for more than 90 minutes at a time. It can spoil if not eaten, and cause infections. Things to try first, broccoli, strawberries, or a piece of a hard boil egg and include some piece of the eggshell. Nothing beats eggs shells for extra calcium.