Suggestions on how to make the ride home fun?

I'm getting my new puppy tomorrow that's 45 minutes away. Suggestions on how to make it fun and safe, and a wonderful experience? Someone else will be the driver of course. Should I sit in back with him or what?

I'm getting my new puppy tomorrow that's 45 minutes away. Suggestions on how to make it fun and safe, and a wonderful experience? Someone else will be the driver of course. Should I sit in back with him or what?...
    Off Topic : Suggestions on how to make the ride home fun?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Suggestions on how to make the ride home fun?

Suggestions on how to make the ride home fun? Off Topic
      I'm getting my new puppy tomorrow that's 45 minutes away. Suggestions on how to make it fun and safe, and a wonderful experience? Someone else will be the driver of course. Should I sit in back with him or what?

Suggestions on how to make the ride home fun? Off Topic
    • You should sit in back with him and talk to him. Comfort him and tell him how everything will be ok. He's most likely going to be nervous, so just talk to him, pet him and reassure him. Make sure you have everything ready for him at home, bed, toys food etc.

• I'd sit in the back seat where he can move around with you. Just cuddle and play quiet things. Bring a treat or two. You don't what him to have too much or you'll be stopping on the way home. Be careful of the open window so he can't jump out when you stop at a light. I personally don't like my windowns down very far. There is just enough to let the breeze blow in their face, but not put the head out the window. You have to remember that if something flys up like a stone or anything and hits them in the face it could do serious damage.

• when i first got my puppy, we got him from an hour away. i sat in the front with him, holding him with a blanket (make sure you don't smother the little guy!). i just kept petting him and talking to him. its going to be really scary for your puppy, being away from his family, in a weird moving car, with people he doesn't know, so expect crying. lots of it. just talk softly to your puppy, pet him, but don't smother too much (physically). hope this helpsp.s. i did have the most rambunctious puppy of the bunch, so it depends on the dog's temperment i think, on how much they'll wriggle around and make noise. my puppy wiggled and cried and wiggled some more, so just keep that in mind.

• making it fun should not be a concern. first make sure you take the time to give him a good bit of walk before the car ride. let him pee and poo... and have some water. not too much... if not in a crate and just sitting with you. backseat is best... have a towel or blanket for him to lay on... and yes sit with him.... HE WILL WHINE> IGNORE IT> he will whine for a bit, especially if this is his first car ride. but what you do today will effect every other time you need to put him in a car. vet trips etc... let him whine , make him lay down and stay there. pet him when he lays down like a good boy. if halfway home he is going crazy, pull over and let him walk and pee.... thats it. maybe have some small chew toys, or small treats, not a full meal. to help stay calm. but no much.

• cars are not meant for fun. People are required to wear seatbelts, not romp and play in the car. If it's safer for people it's safer for dogs. Ideally he should be in a crate, which should be strapped in the back seat.