How should we take care of a painted turtle found in a pond?

Shelter,food,heat,etc. I am going to keep it as a pet. Its a baby painted turtle.Im not going to put it back so if anyone wants to help please do it.THE POND IS POLLUTED!!!

Shelter,food,heat,etc. I am going to keep it as a pet. Its a baby painted turtle.Im not going to put it back so if anyone wants to help please do it.THE POND IS POLLUTED!!!...
    Other Pet Discussions : How should we take care of a painted turtle found in a pond?...

• How should we take care of a painted turtle found in a pond?

How should we take care of a painted turtle found in a pond? Other Pet Discussions
      Shelter,food,heat,etc. I am going to keep it as a pet. Its a baby painted turtle.Im not going to put it back so if anyone wants to help please do it.THE POND IS POLLUTED!!!

How should we take care of a painted turtle found in a pond? Other Pet Discussions
    • If you want a turtle for a pet, buy one. This one was born in the wild, leave it there!!!!! You will probably end up killing it anyway, since you don't know anything about them!!!!!If it was that polluted, the turtles wouldn't be reproducing. Don't try to justify keeping a wild animal as a pet by pulling that crap. Everyone who does what you are doing thinks the animal is better off with them. Then something happens and you kill it or have to get rid of it and it can't go back. Maybe you will get salmonella from it!!!!

• for food get some worms it don't matter what kind of worms, but when you feed it to the turtle do tinny bite sizes of the worm, keep it a cool temperature room not to hot or cold and shelter i would get a fish tank and maybe put sand but i would do rocks or do both because there used to it.

• Babys are tough, but pollution is not by itself a reason to not take it home. Turtles actually do pretty well in waters that seem nasty.You'll need at least 5 gallons of water per inch of turtle- the more the better. You'll need to keep it about 70 degrees during the day and offer a basking surface that is about 90 degrees. Simulate natural daylight spectrum and duration, and enough filtration ot keep everything clean.Diet is almost totally things like fresh, frozen/thawed, or pelletized versions of fish, worms, bugs, shellfish, etc. A small part of the diet is dark green leafy veggies.The sites below can provide details, and more ideas. Don't worry that one is for red-ears- they have about the same care.

• turtles are not the easiest "pets" to care for. i vote for putting it back in the pond. like somebody else said, if the pond was that polluted, the turtles would not be reproducing. turtles grow quickly and their environment has to grow with them. are you prepared to have a turtle the size of a dinner plate? what would you keep it in? i have a red-eared slider about 6-7 inches in diameter in a 55 gallon tank. do you know how much 55 gallons of water weighs? something like 700 pounds. a 55 gallon tank seems pretty big but in another year or so, i'm going to have to find something bigger. and his diet costs a lot of money. i have to go to a bigger pet store in another town. i wish i had never gotten the little guy but i've had him for 3 years and i know better than to put him back in a pond. that is what you should do before it's too late.