How can you make a cat affect your allergies less?

I love cats and I'm allergic to them. I can get somewhat use to a cat's dander over time but I was wondering if anyone knew of any home remides that can help me cut down on my cats' dander. I'm NOT looking for drugs nor will I get rid of the cats.

I love cats and I'm allergic to them. I can get somewhat use to a cat's dander over time but I was wondering if anyone knew of any home remides that can help me cut down on my cats' dander. I'm NOT looking for drugs nor will I get rid of the cats....
    Other Pet Discussions : How can you make a cat affect your allergies less?...

• How can you make a cat affect your allergies less?

How can you make a cat affect your allergies less? Other Pet Discussions
      I love cats and I'm allergic to them. I can get somewhat use to a cat's dander over time but I was wondering if anyone knew of any home remides that can help me cut down on my cats' dander. I'm NOT looking for drugs nor will I get rid of the cats.

How can you make a cat affect your allergies less? Other Pet Discussions
    • This is not the cats problem its yours. You knew you had allergies but yet you still got the cats, so I'm afraid you will have to suffer for your own stupidty. I love elephants, but I wouldn't have one as a pet! However, not wanting to dwell on your stupidity, a couple of things that may help.... If you can afford to, start by replacing carpet with hard floor such as wood or tile, not allowing your cats to sit on soft furnishings and keep you bedroom or at least one room in the house a cat free zone as this will give you some refuge. Grooming your cats won't help, as cats generally keep themselves well groomed. Your allergy may not be caused by the cats dander, but could be its actual fur or cat saliva which is an irritant to alot of people, so avoid petting your cat after it's washed itself.Also, ensure that your cats are treated for fleas and worms regularly (normally with most counter products its every month). I haven't come across anything herbal that will work for you, keep some antihistamine in the house for bad attacks. It has been known for allergies to simply fade away as prolonged exposure to cats can help the body build up its own immunity.

• A partially wet food diet should help with your cat's dander. most of the time, the reason a cat's skin is so dry is because of the preservatives in a dry food diet. Give your cat half a can of food a day (depending on weight give them more) and then kibbles for snacking on. Get someone else to brush kitty every day and make sure everything is vacuumed/swept really well.

• My partner has mild allergies to cats and we have three. The best home remedies......Clean, clean, clean! We vacuum daily (sometimes twice), clean boxes twice daily, brush weekly, dust weekly, clean the entire house weekly.I have a friend who is severely allergic to cats and she is able to visit for up to three hours before her allergies really kick in. Why? Clean, Clean, Clean!!!!Note: Wet food is high in calories, and a total diet of wet food is not good for the cats oral hygiene. The allergen is not the dander it is the saliva. Try the pet wipes as well to assist with your allergies.

• I would get two items: Pet Groom Pro 2 and if you watch Animal Planet, the brush that brushes away the under-coat where the shedding/dander builds up.Pet Groom Pro 2: I /have/ this, and it has Ions on its brush, so it's like giving your cat a bath without the water and soap. It's certainly settled my allergies!Other Brush whose name escapes me: If I can find the name, I'll give it to you. But it brushes the cat's under-coat, and gets rid of the part that sheds, which is what you're mainly allergic to. Additionally, keep the cat(s) out of your room, because that may upset your allergies more, as they may jump into bed with you..

• Jeez, crass vet there.Okay. Here's what I do that helps my allergic husband.I vacuum regularly, and roll the couches to remove hair.I bathe the cats. I used to do it every month but every 3 months gives the same results in my case.I use Allergy Relief for Cats that I get at Petsmart. This is a rub-on liquid that helps keep the saliva enzymes under control. I use this at least once a month.The cats are not allowed in our bedroom. We have a pet gate (that they do not jump over when we are home) and we close the bedroom door when we're gone. Dander is very hard to get out of bedding- you need to buy new bedding if the cats have slept on it.If you still have problems ask your vet about the "one drop of tranquilizer in the water" cure.There is a common tranquilizer that, when dissolved in waterat a very very low dose, helps block the saliva enzyme that many people are allergic to. This had worked great for friends who are more strongly allergic than my husband is. When the cats need to be bathed and it's too coldor I'm too busy, my husband takes a Claritin to keep himself from getting too sneezy.We love our cats even though my husband is allergic, and love is blind, what can I say? I don't think you'restupid for wanting a wonderful feline companioneven though you will need extra care for both of youto live together comfortably.