How to teach my 2 years old miniature Schnauzer to climb up and down stairs?

I received a cute little 2 years old miniature Schnauzer on Christmas.He is very sweet,but afraid to go up and down stairs. Somebody help, please. Thank you.

I received a cute little 2 years old miniature Schnauzer on Christmas.He is very sweet,but afraid to go up and down stairs. Somebody help, please. Thank you....
    Other Pet Discussions : How to teach my 2 years old miniature Schnauzer to climb up and down stairs?...

• How to teach my 2 years old miniature Schnauzer to climb up and down stairs?

How to teach my 2 years old miniature Schnauzer to climb up and down stairs? Other Pet Discussions
      I received a cute little 2 years old miniature Schnauzer on Christmas.He is very sweet,but afraid to go up and down stairs. Somebody help, please. Thank you.

How to teach my 2 years old miniature Schnauzer to climb up and down stairs? Other Pet Discussions
    • Put a nice treat on the first step - then encourage him to get it. Then the second step, etc. After he gets the idea you can skip some of the steps and put the treat further up.Good luck

• Watch the dog whisperer on the episodes where he teaches dogs to do that. You can watch them online I think or buy the dvd's which I highly recomend doing. You just have to put a leash on him and get some treats that he REALLY likes like a hotdog(cheap and dogs love em') Start walking up the stairs(without saying ANYTHING) with the dog and everytime he makes a forward movement give him a treat without stopping.

• Perhaps you should get a piece of his favorite food or toy he can't resist getting, and set it on the very first step in the whole staircase. Once he gets it, continue moving another favorite he can't resist getting on the next step, and so on. He may not notice, but he actually is walking up the stairs.-Do the exact same thing with going down the stairs, except start from the very top.Or you could hold onto him while walking up and down the stairs, and promise to catch him if he falls.

• Put a leash on him and "bribe" him up the stairs with some treats. Every time he goes up another step, praise him and give him a treat (little tiny pieces of cheese work really really good for this). If he's showing a lot of resistance, work on it for 3-5 minutes at a time and then give him a good long rest. After you get him to go up the stairs on his own, then it's time to work on going down. I had a harder time training a dog to go down than I did training him to go up. We just went very slowly and I praised him and gave him little bits of cheese. Good luck!

• He's probably only scared because he's never had them before.. He's never used them, so he doesnt know to go up or down. You have to show him its ok to go up and down. Put him on the middle of the stairs. he'll have to go either up or down to move.. work with him and show him its OK and he'll use them. He'll probably act kinda odd at first, but he'll understand. You could also put him, for example, down stairs and you go upstairs and call him, he might just come up or he'll be kinda like what?? I can't get to you and if he does this then, go get him put him on the stairs and walk him up the stairs, If he absoutely won't walk on the steps then hold him by the belly and YOU walk him up the steps. Put him on each step.. He might just start to help you, like moving his legs etc...Good Luck!! God Bless!!