How can I make my dog stop whining when he is in his crate?

He sleeps in there. And also he goes in there when we leave the house. Also, how can I make it so I dont have to fight with him to go in there?

He sleeps in there. And also he goes in there when we leave the house. Also, how can I make it so I dont have to fight with him to go in there?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I make my dog stop whining when he is in his crate?...

• How can I make my dog stop whining when he is in his crate?

How can I make my dog stop whining when he is in his crate? Other Pet Discussions
      He sleeps in there. And also he goes in there when we leave the house. Also, how can I make it so I dont have to fight with him to go in there?

How can I make my dog stop whining when he is in his crate? Other Pet Discussions
    • you should cover the crate with a blanket or towel,it calms them down.and usually works every time,put the blanket over and if the dogs whines don't say anything and in in a couple of minutes he will calm down.

• If he is a puppy put a ticking clock next to his crate. It will soothe him because it will remind him of his mother's heartbeat. If he is a grown dog put relaxing music on. Maybe he is scared because he feels alone. That way with the music he will hear something and will not feel alone.

• Why does he sleep there? Being in the crate while your gone is enough time locked up! My dog is crate trained also, but only when we are gone, when we are home he is out with us, even at night. Give lots of positive reinforcement, verbal praise, maybe a small treat when going in, I used the little puppy treat for my big rott mix in the beginning, because i wanted to reward him, but not give enough that would make him need to go potty. Also a good chew bone, not the edible kind, a tough rubber one, or a Kong toy might help. Maybe an old unwashed t shirt of yours would help make him feel more secure. Good Luck! I really do think making him sleep in there is too much!

• Sounds like he has already associated the crate with all things bad, move it to a new location and sit next to it. Call him, but don't try to grab him or put him into the crate. Whenever he comes close, praise and give a treat. When you are sick of sitting next to an empty crate leave treats in it and watch for him to investigate, praise any progress toward the crate. He only gets treats in or around the crate for awhile. Leave the crate open and accessable to him always. As for crying when you leave, he'll do that no matter what you do, he hates being left behind. Try chew toys.

• Crate Training Your DogCrate training your dog may take some time and effort, but can be useful in a variety of situations. If you have a new dog or puppy, you can use the crate to limit his access to the house until he learns all the house rules - like what he can and can't chew on and where he can and can't eliminate. Dog crates are also a safe way of transporting your dog in the car, as well as a way of taking him places where he may not be welcome to run freely. If you properly train your dog to use a dog crate, he'll think his dog crate is a safe place and will be happy to spend time in his dog crate when needed. The Crate Training ProcessCrate training can take days or weeks, depending on your dog's age, temperament and past experiences. It's important to keep two things in mind while dog crate training. Dog crates should always be associated with something pleasant, and training should take place in a series of small steps - don't go too fast.Step One: Introduce your dog to the cratePut the dog crate in an area of your house where the family spends a lot of time, such as the family room. Put a soft blanket or towel in the dog crate. Bring your dog over to the dog crate and talk to him in a happy tone of voice. Make sure the dog crate door is securely fastened opened so it won't hit your dog and frighten him.To encourage your dog to enter the dog crate, drop some small food treats near it and then just inside the door, and finally, all the way inside the dog crate. If he refuses to go all the way in at first, that's okay - don't force him to enter. Continue tossing treats into the dog crate until your dog will walk calmly all the way into the dog crate to get the food. If he isn't interested in treats, try tossing a favorite toy in the dog crate. This step may take a few minutes or as long as several days.Step Two: Feeding your dog in the crateAfter introducing your dog to the dog crate, begin feeding him his regular meals near the dog crate. This will create a pleasant association with the dog crate. If your dog is readily entering the dog crate when you begin Step 2, put the food dish all the way at the back of the dog crate. If your dog is still reluctant to enter the dog crate, put the dish only as far inside as he will readily go without becoming fearful or anxious. Each time you feed him, place the dish a little further back in the dog crate.Once your dog is standing comfortably in the dog crate to eat his meal, you can close the door while he's eating. At first, open the door as soon as he finishes his meal. With each successive feeding, leave the door closed a few minutes longer, until he's staying in the dog crate for ten minutes or so after eating. If he begins to whine to be let out, you may have increased the length of time too quickly in the dog crate. Next time, try leaving him in the dog crate for a shorter time period. If he does whine or cry in the dog crate, it's imperative that you not let him out until he stops. Otherwise, he'll learn that the way to get out of the dog crate is to whine, so he'll keep doing it.Step Three: Conditioning Your Dog For Longer Time PeriodsAfter your dog is eating his regular meals in the dog crate with no sign of fear or anxiety, you can confine him there for short time periods while you're home. Call him over to the dog crate and give him a treat. Give him a command to enter such as, "kennel up." Encourage him by pointing to the inside of the dog crate with a treat in your hand. After your dog enters the dog crate, praise him, give him the treat and close the door. Sit quietly near the dog crates for five to ten minutes and then go into another room for a few minutes. Return, sit quietly again for a short time, then let him out of the dog crate. Repeat this process several times a day. With each repetition, gradually increase the length of time you leave him in the dog crate and the length of time you're out of his sight. Once your dog will stay quietly in the dog crate for about 30 minutes with you out of sight the majority of the time, you can begin leaving him crated when you're gone for short time periods and/or letting him sleep there at night. This may take several days or several weeks. Step Four: Part A - Crating Your Dog When Left AloneAfter your dog is spending about 30 minutes in the dog crate without becoming anxious or afraid, you can begin leaving him crated for short periods when you leave the house. Put him in the dog crate using your regular command and a treat. You might also want to leave him with a few safe toys in the dog crate. You'll want to vary at what point in your "getting ready to leave" routine you put your dog in the dog crate. Although he shouldn't be crated for a long time before you leave, you can crate him anywhere from five to 20 minutes prior to leaving. Don't make your departures emotional and prolonged, but matter-of-fact. Praise your dog briefly, give him a treat for entering the dog crates and then leave quietly. When you return home, don't reward your dog for excited behavior by responding to him in an excited, enthusiastic way. Keep arrivals low key. Continue to crate your dog for short periods from time to time when you're home so he doesn't associate crating with being left alone.This last part is added in but I do not crate my dog at night. He has to spend enough time in there in the day time when we work. It is unfair to keep them in a crate both day and night. They will despise the crate instead of thinking of it as their den.Part B - Crating Your Dog At NightPut your dog in the dog crate using your regular command and a treat. Initially, it may be a good idea to put the dog crate in your bedroom or nearby in a hallway, especially if you have a puppy. Puppies often need to go outside to eliminate during the night, and you'll want to be able to hear your puppy when he whines to be let outside. Older dogs, too, should initially be kept nearby so that crating doesn't become associated with social isolation. Once your dog is sleeping comfortably through the night with his dog crate near you, you can begin to gradually move it to the location you prefer.http://radiofence.com/dog_crate_training.htm

• What I did with my dog when she was whining was to put a blanket or towel over the crate and that seemed to help. If it doesn't work try giving her a treat or chew toy while in the crate and place it in a quiet room so the dog will get used to the crate being a positive thing

• Puppies need to be slowly introduced to their crate. Try putting a few toys in there with it and also leave the door of the crate open while you're home. Train it to go on the puppy pads. Most puppies want affection just like people and don't understand why they're suddenly being picked up and slung into a crate suddenly. A ticking clock also soothes a puppy, even a radio or tv will do. Put yourself in its place how would you feel if you were isolated and couldn't be with the one you loved or just roam freely. Really, just sit and think about it.

• When we were training our dog to go into the crate we gave her the occassional treat but more often we encouraged her in there for short periods while we were still in the house & always put in a chew toy & her teddy bear. Sounds silly I know but she is attached to her bear & as long as it was in the crate with her she did fine & curled up with her head on the bear & went to sleep. We only ever had her in the crate during the day, she soon learnt that it was a priviledge to have the freedom of the house at night & she always wakes one of us up if she needs to potty during the night. Thankfully now as she gets older she often makes it through the night without having to go potty. the main thing for you to do is not to let your dog feel that to be put in the crate is a punishment. It needs to feel safe & secure when in it. Goodluck its not going to happen overnight but with patience on your part, it will happen!

• you have to make it a nice place for him, put in treats & toys & a bed. clean it if he pees in it. leave the door open when you're home & show him it's a nice place to go even when you are home. the only way to make him stop whining is to ignore him. If he knows whining will get your attention, he will never stop.

• Ignore him when he is whining, he knows he gets your attention.To make it nicer to go in. Teach him to go in the crate and give him a special treat. Some kind of dog treat that you don't already give him during the day. Like T-Bonez or Beggin Strips.We give our dog a t-bone when we have to crate him, and he jumps right in no problem because he knows he is getting that T-bone treat.As for the whinning, our dog tried that but we just ignored him and he stopped doing it ~ took about a week and a half.

• put a blanket over the cage and put a ticking clock bye its cage and to keep it busy buy a KONG toy and fill it with peanut butter it will keep it busy the kong to is red

• Do you pay your dog enough attention? Play with your dog? Long walks are good for you and the dog. The Dog Whisperer says an hour a day for walks. Make sure there's a special toy in there that he feels at home with. Or put in a t-shirt that you've worn so it can smell you and not feel lonely.