How do I catch a groundhog in my backyard?

I have groundhogs running all over, I have 2 metal screen traps. I dont know what to use as bait nor where to put them.

I have groundhogs running all over, I have 2 metal screen traps. I dont know what to use as bait nor where to put them....
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I catch a groundhog in my backyard?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I catch a groundhog in my backyard?

How do I catch a groundhog in my backyard? Other Pet Discussions
      I have groundhogs running all over, I have 2 metal screen traps. I dont know what to use as bait nor where to put them.

How do I catch a groundhog in my backyard? Other Pet Discussions
    • We bought the traps that sit above the ground and the "spikes" are set to snap and go through the mole when it trips them. You set them in a run that they keep using. We've had really great luck with these. Go to the hardward store and ask.

• Don't use a cat. Groundhogs are a lot bigger and meaner than a cat. You'll just end up with a dead cat. Be careful if your going to trap one. Like I said they are mean. I would check out this page. It has a lot of good info on it. http://landscaping.about.com/cs/pestcontrol/a/groundhog_day_3.htm?terms=animal+traps

• DO NOT PUT OUT THOSE TRAPS!!! That is an inhumane way of catching animals! call your local animal control and they will capture the animals and relocate them, usually for free. Don't harm animals please!

• I had a g-hog set up shop in my back yard and he moved in a girl friend after a while. I was going to leave them be, cause I kind of like watching the male hang out on my back deck sunning himself until he started chewing up my railing. Then I found out that females dig one hole for each of their offspring and my yard just cannot support a colony like that. So I found out what their natural predators are(fox, coyote, bobcat) and went in search of some of their urine. I found red fox at a local hunting store. Hunters use it as a cover scent. It can be found in powdered form and in a combination of different urines as well, might want to check on line for that. I sprinkled some of the urine around the areas the hogs hung out and right in front of their burrow. It took a little while and I had to repeat the application, but eventually they left and never returned. I didn't have to kill or hurt them, besides, discharging a fire arm IS illegal within city limits just about anywhere you go. Good luck.