How do get my female cat to stop jumping on the kitchen counters?

She is an indoor cat.I have tried a spray bottle with water. That doesn't work.I have tried an animal training remote. That doesn't work either.

She is an indoor cat.I have tried a spray bottle with water. That doesn't work.I have tried an animal training remote. That doesn't work either....
    Other Pet Discussions : How do get my female cat to stop jumping on the kitchen counters?...

• How do get my female cat to stop jumping on the kitchen counters?

How do get my female cat to stop jumping on the kitchen counters? Other Pet Discussions
      She is an indoor cat.I have tried a spray bottle with water. That doesn't work.I have tried an animal training remote. That doesn't work either.

How do get my female cat to stop jumping on the kitchen counters? Other Pet Discussions
    • I had the same problem. What you need to do is put a light coat of some spicy powdered pepper (your choice) and leave it on the counter, overnight. I did this for two nights, my cat usually jumped on the counters at night anyway.I did this overnight for two nights and it worked.

• I have three cats and i have no problems .You need to get a news paper and smack the butt.Get control now or she wont stop.Ok you can also use foil .Roll it out on the counter and when she jumps up on it she wont like the feel of foil.good luck.

• My cats (I have four) hate the feel of bubble wrap. Try using bubble wrap on the surfaces you want kitty to stay off of. The only thing you do by using the spray bottle is to condition kitty to stay off the counter when you're watching.Personally I am a long-timer with cats and could care less if they get on the counters, tables, etc. I do make sure to clean the counters frequently with bleach cleaner and I always clean the tables and counters thoroughly before preparing or eating meals. Other than that the cats have free reign. Given that I also have three dogs it would be unfair to deprive the cats of "dog-free" areas.

• Never hit your cat. That will only cause her to distrust and maybe even dislike you and will not break a bad habit. You want to keep her respect at all costs. And, she will just get up there when you are not around.Whatever method you use, you don't want her to know that you have anything to do with it.What we did to teach our 6 cats to stay off of the kitchen counters was to use Scat Mats. They come in different sizes and use batteries to give just a mild tingle that the cats don't like. We only had to use them for a while -- they learned quickly and never get up there any more. You can find them at some pet stores or do a search on-line.I have also heard of using empty tin cans or cans with pennies in them. You can rig up a string with several cans and put them on the counter before you go to bed. When your cat jumps up and bumps the string, the cans will hit the floor and wake you up.