Is it safe for dogs to eat hot dogs and bologna?

My grandma's dog is EXTREMELY picky. She hasn't been eating her chicken or meatballs lately, so we tried bologna and hot dogs. She really likes them, but my grandma is kinda worried because she drinks a lot of water after eating them. Is it okay for dogs…

My grandma's dog is EXTREMELY picky. She hasn't been eating her chicken or meatballs lately, so we tried bologna and hot dogs. She really likes them, but my grandma is kinda worried because she drinks a lot of water after eating them. Is it okay for dogs…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it safe for dogs to eat hot dogs and bologna?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it safe for dogs to eat hot dogs and bologna?

Is it safe for dogs to eat hot dogs and bologna? General Dog Discussions
      My grandma's dog is EXTREMELY picky. She hasn't been eating her chicken or meatballs lately, so we tried bologna and hot dogs. She really likes them, but my grandma is kinda worried because she drinks a lot of water after eating them. Is it okay for dogs to eat them?We've tried just leaving her a bowl of food, but she'd rather starve. She just refuses to eat anything else but cooked meat.Would the hot dogs be less salty if you boiled them?

Is it safe for dogs to eat hot dogs and bologna? General Dog Discussions
    • Yep. When wolves lived in the wild they ate any meat they could find. The only thing they can't have is chicken BONES. They can choke easily on them. Make sure all the bones are out of the chicken if you start giving that to her again.Hope I helped! :)

• It's okay once in a while in tiny bits. They are not good for the dog because they're extremely salty and a lot of salt is very bad for dogs. She cannot have a lot of salt in her diet that's why a plain boiled meat will work better.

• Dogs should not be fed any kind of processed meat, including hot dogs, bologna, or lunch meat, as these contain too much sodium. That's why she gets so thirsty after eating it. A hungry dog is not a picky dog, if you put a bowl of food on the floor, she will eventually eat it. Your dog should be fed a high quality dog food, and scraps kept to a minimum.Great dog food brands include Merrick, Innova, Wellness, California Naturals, Blue Buffalo, and Taste of the Wild. Bad brands include Eukanuba, Purina, Iams, Beneful, and just about anything you can buy at the grocery store.

• A lot of people used dried hot dog pieces for training or treats, but I don't know if giving a dog that as it's main food source would be a good idea. The dog foods made for dogs are well balanced and the dog gets all the proper nutrition. Feeding a dog 'people' food is not going to be very healthy. The dog is drinking a lot of water because of the high sodium in the hot dogs, which is also not healthy for her..

• If she's an older dog, like much older, feed her what she will eat. Hot dogs and bologna aren't the best for dogs because of sodium and nitrates but if they are all she will eat and she's old just try to get the best stuff you can get, the most natural available and keep trying with more healthy dog food too. Good luck.

• Bad foods for dogs * Chocolate * Grapes * Raisins * Onions * Tomatoes * Caffeinated beverages * Garlic * Macadamia nuts * Cooked bones (chicken, turkey, pork, beef) * Walnuts http://dogtime.com/bad-foods-for-dogs-list.html

• It is perfectly fine to feed them meat of any kind. Meat is even in regular dog food! You really should be feeding the chihuahua dog food, because human food can easily lead to obesity and diabetes in dogs. But, since it is your/your grandma's dog, i guess you could do whatever you want with it. The only reason it drinks water after eating is because it is salty.

• You probably shouldn't be feeding your dog anything that isn't natural but meat that isn't proccesed like hot dogs and bologna is fine and the salt in the food is what is causing your dog to drink so much also you shouldn't give them any spicy food either.

• Hot dogs and bologna are probably no more better for dogs than they are for humans. Chicken and brown rice are very good for dogs. Add some vegetables to it and the dog will do very well as long as she eats it.