At what point in time can I start touching my kittens?

My cat had five healthy and happy kittens 5 days ago. I am getting mixed opinions on when I can hold them. One said when they are five days old, another said a week and a half, and another said when their eyes open. The mother doesnt seem to care if I…

My cat had five healthy and happy kittens 5 days ago. I am getting mixed opinions on when I can hold them. One said when they are five days old, another said a week and a half, and another said when their eyes open. The mother doesnt seem to care if I…...
    Other Pet Discussions : At what point in time can I start touching my kittens?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• At what point in time can I start touching my kittens?

At what point in time can I start touching my kittens? Other Pet Discussions
      My cat had five healthy and happy kittens 5 days ago. I am getting mixed opinions on when I can hold them. One said when they are five days old, another said a week and a half, and another said when their eyes open. The mother doesnt seem to care if I pet her. But if I touch them, will she abandon them? Help please! Any answers are welcome!

At what point in time can I start touching my kittens? Other Pet Discussions
    • Assuming the mother cat is happy and settled with her new family and that each kitten is feeding from her, you can leave them to sleep. The kittens are born with their eyes closed and should be left were they were born as the mother will normally provide for all there needs until they reach three or four weeks of age. Keep a regular check on the kittens progress, making sure that they are all getting their share of mother's milk. It is good to let the youngsters become accustomed to your smell and contact as it will help them to become socialized. A word of warning here! Try to limit the amount of visitors, this is sometimes hard to do especially if you have children, as they will be eager to look and touch the tiny kittens. When the kittens are around ten days old they will start to open their tiny eyes, and at about fourteen, will be moving around their box. At three weeks of age they will be wanting to explore their surroundings, and it may start to prove difficult to keep them safe from all the household dangers. At about four weeks the kittens will be ready to start taking solid food, which also means they will need a litter tray. We do not have to worry about litter training as the mother cat will normally teach them all they need to know about toileting, and they usually learn very quickly. It should go without saying that it is very important to change the litter regularly.It is very true to say, that from now until the kittens leave home they will keep you fairly busy! Weaning is the next step forward, and not all kittens will take to eating solid food as soon as we would like. If you have any that will not eat, you could try them on a very small amount of a strong smelling food, like tinned pilchard with the tomato sauce or oil washed off. These are too rich for young cats as a normal diet, but when the reluctant kitten responds to the food, you can then change back again to its normal foo

• no.. its not true that if u touch the kittens the mom will abandon them. u can touch the kittens whenever u want but dont handle them too much coz they're too young.

• You can pet them, but leave them to nurse with their mother. Once she cannot nurse anymore, you will be able to touch them and start feeding them bottled milk. Be careful with them though, so the mother can understand you are not trying to harm them in any way. Good luck.hope this helps!