My dog has a sensitive stomach. What can I do to help him have regular bowel movements?

We never really give him human food, only Eukenuba dog food, milkbones, and rawhides. Earlier on when we changed his food over, it was a hard adjustment. Now, it seems like anything new he get's can give him diarhea. Even with the rawhides he's always…

My dog has a sensitive stomach. What can I do to help him have regular bowel movements?

We never really give him human food, only Eukenuba dog food, milkbones, and rawhides. Earlier on when we changed his food over, it was a hard adjustment. Now, it seems like anything new he get's can give him diarhea. Even with the rawhides he's always…...
    Other Pet Discussions : My dog has a sensitive stomach. What can I do to help him have regular bowel movements?...

• My dog has a sensitive stomach. What can I do to help him have regular bowel movements?

My dog has a sensitive stomach. What can I do to help him have regular bowel movements? Other Pet Discussions
      We never really give him human food, only Eukenuba dog food, milkbones, and rawhides. Earlier on when we changed his food over, it was a hard adjustment. Now, it seems like anything new he get's can give him diarhea. Even with the rawhides he's always had. He's had 2 accidents in his kennel within the past 3 days.

My dog has a sensitive stomach. What can I do to help him have regular bowel movements? Other Pet Discussions
    • The vet is the best place to start. Also I'd recommend an advanced age food, something designed specifically to be easier on the digestion tract.Still, consult your vet.

• My dogs have gone thru spells like you are describing. Try frying up some good ground beef and draining it well. Make up a pot of rice. Mix the two together and he will love it. Should help with his stomach. It worked with my dogs. Could also be something a vet should check into. Probably should give the vet a call to be on the safe side.

• First of all take him to the vet to make sure he isn't sick from something besides his diet. Not all raw hides are created equal so the ingredients differ between brands. If you want to feed him rawhide, stick to one brand. Same with the milk bones. Anytime you switch dog foods, you need to do so gradually. The first two days 3/4 old food and 1/4 new food, the next two days 1/2 and 1/2, the final two days 3/4 new food and 1/4 old food. This will help ease his delicate stomach into the new food. You need to do this even if you switch between types of Euk food. Good luck.

• Go to the dog store and buy dog food for dogs who have sensitive stomaches. and you can also buy treats too. its natural choice, i feed my dog that brand but he doesn't eat the sensitive stomach ones. he eats lite because hes on a diet. i think its working so probally it will work for your dog too. good luck!

• If He's "sick" that's one thing......but my dog is older now, (Chow) and I had been buying chicken and boiling it for her.........got too involved.I'm buying the Purina "Beneful" dry and wet... and she's doing just fine in the "poop solid" category, now....The "wet" is expensive ($1.50) a serving... but hey, I LOVE MY DOG!!!!!!!

• Best to take him to the vet, and--it sounds gross, but ask when you make the appointment if they want this: bring a stool sample collected within a half hour or hour.If there's nothing wrong with him, maybe try cooked white rice mixed with a little cottage cheese and/or grilled or boiled skinless chicken breast. He'll love it and it's good for settling the stomach.

• He may be developing a more serious problem - start with an evaluation by your veterinarian (bring a stool sample with you).Diarrhea is a symptom of many different illnesses not just dietary problems. Some dogs even develop Inflammatory Bowel Disease and can have a difficult time digesting some proteins. Your veterinarian will help guide you.Good Luck.

• I would check with the vet! My dog ( Shiba Inu ) had the same problem turned out she had a food allergy and they recommended that i give her dog food with lamb and rice in it !! It really helped her.