What is the easiest way to litter box train a kitten?

I have a kitten that was born the day after mothers day. I place him in the litter box as often as I remember. But this morning I caught him peeing on my kitchen floor. Anyone have any advice about how I can get him to stop doing that and to go in the…

I have a kitten that was born the day after mothers day. I place him in the litter box as often as I remember. But this morning I caught him peeing on my kitchen floor. Anyone have any advice about how I can get him to stop doing that and to go in the…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the easiest way to litter box train a kitten?...

• What is the easiest way to litter box train a kitten?

What is the easiest way to litter box train a kitten? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a kitten that was born the day after mothers day. I place him in the litter box as often as I remember. But this morning I caught him peeing on my kitchen floor. Anyone have any advice about how I can get him to stop doing that and to go in the litter box? The mom cat frequently goes into the little litter box for the kitten and looks at it. But she uses the litter box that is in the basement, and I have the litterbox for the kitten in a closet on my main floor?Any advice would be very helpful. I can't have a cat peeing every where.

What is the easiest way to litter box train a kitten? Other Pet Discussions
    • start by leaving the box out where it's easy for him to find. put him in it and take his paws and scratch them in the litter so he gets the feel of it. once he starts using it, start moving the box closer and closer to the closet, always reintroducing him to it so he knows where it is. after a week or so move it back into the closet with the door open wide enough that he can find it. he'll figure it out eventually. also, make sure you keep it very clean. if any other cats are using it, he may not like the smell.

• The answer is consistency. You have to watch the kitten *every* minute, and when he looks like he is ready, pick him up, place him in the litter box, and maybe (gently!) use his front paws to scratch the litter.Keep the litter box *very* clean, too. Some cats are very picky and fastidious.One of my cats actually comes and lets me know when the litter box isn't up to his standards! I always respond *immediately*, as I appreciate the fact that he does that instead of using the floor!

• Never had a problem with litter box training a cat. It's natural for them. Unless it gets used and is nasty....they don't like that. You said it was a small litter box. May need to clean it out more often or get it a bigger one. If that don't work, introduce the cat to living outside. They'll survive. All three of mine do. All year round. And anyone that thinks it's cruel....ummm....here's a hint. It's an ANIMAL. And there are all kinds of animals that live and survive outside all year round. And there's no one that goes around feeding tham and giving them water either. So you can get off your high horse about that part of it and grow up.

• Get a kitten that is 6 weeks old approximately. Feed the kitten. Immediately pick him up and put him in the nice clean litter box (with unscented kitty litter from the store in it). The kitten catches on. Cats are naturally clean. Once in a while yhou may find one that doesn't want to be trained. That's how OutDoor cats are born.

• I have only had one kitten that had problems with catching on to the litter box and what I had to do was put some poop into the litterbox. Since you have the momma cat, that should be no problem...just use the litter scooper to transfer some from her box to the kitten's. In no time, my kitten learned what the litterbox was for!

• I had the same situation and didn't know what to do, but since your kitten was just born let his mother show him, naturally mother cats lick their young to stimulate the bladder muscles causing them to urinate.If his mother isn't helping you or isn't around him then you might try following the tip my vet has offered me when my kitten was 2 weeks old(now she's 6 weeks old and knows what to do)he said try planting some catnip around the edges of the litter box and put him there if he responds to the catnip and stays there, try moving his paws and letting him scratch the litter, sometime he might give you a message of nature calling by meowing alot after a meal, he might also smell around to see if there is a place where he could do his business.I recommend using a plug-in pheromone releaser beside his litter box to calm the kitten down and make him feel that it is okay for him to do his business in the box.He will learn quickly, but also check with your vet as cats usually miss the box when they are sick.Good luck and have fun with your little kitten.