How to get a horse used to traffic?

I would like to know how to train a horse so it does not spook at traffic, cars driving by, etc. I know how to do basic desensitization, but beyond that I am at a loss. There are many amish families in my area and they drive their horse and buggies down…

I would like to know how to train a horse so it does not spook at traffic, cars driving by, etc. I know how to do basic desensitization, but beyond that I am at a loss. There are many amish families in my area and they drive their horse and buggies down…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How to get a horse used to traffic?...

• How to get a horse used to traffic?

How to get a horse used to traffic? Other Pet Discussions
      I would like to know how to train a horse so it does not spook at traffic, cars driving by, etc. I know how to do basic desensitization, but beyond that I am at a loss. There are many amish families in my area and they drive their horse and buggies down the highway; semi trucks do not even startle the horses, how is this possible? Please explain.

How to get a horse used to traffic? Other Pet Discussions
    • slowly acclimate the horse to that environment and he will learn it is not so scary. It takes time a patience. As long as YOU remain calm in a scary situation, your horse will learn to trust you and not bolt or spook.

• Build a corall, put a lead rope on, & run 'him' at different speeds; ie: run for a minute, walk for a minute, gallop for a minute, etc. This is how you would do with a 'green' horse. After you've ridden and 'trained' him for a while, he'll get used to things like that...at the very least; ride him often.

• You need to distract him, or to keep his mind on you more than the traffic. I was riding someone else's horse once outside for the first time. When rush hour kicked in on our way back to the barn, I could feel we were in deep shit. I got off and began drilling him on "get up" and "whoa." Every time he stopped for me, he got a bit of carrot and some stroking. He soon got so engrossed with this profitable little game that he tuned out the traffic. An added benefit was that he stopped on a dime the next day when I said "whoa." John Lyons recommends that you get your horse to reliably give to the bit--ie, bend his neck to one side when you pick up on one rein. This gets his mind on you, not on other things. It also disengages him from the position he needs to get into before he rears, bucks, or runs off. Giving to the bit also lowers his head, which for some reason puts him in a mellower frame of mind. He says that trail riding is like a giant vacuum cleaner that sucks all the training out of your horse--if pursued as just moseying along the trail and not giving him constant direction. Riding with precision--picking specific spots for him to step on, and insisting that he do it precisely--is one way to keep his mind on you instead of everything else. Riding with precision is more important out on trail than in the arena, because you must have your horse's attention at all times when you are in more dangerous circumstances. If you do not seem to have a game plan--he can wander wherever he wants and it's ok--then he thinks you are asleep at the wheel, and it will be his responsibility to look out for your mutual welfare. If he gets the feeling that you have definite plans and that you are alert, and he gets this feeling from being steered with precision--he will be able to relax more, amd not be so afraid of other things out there, because he feels he has a real leader up on his back whom he can trust. It seems that a horse can only keep his mind on one thing at a time. If his mind is on you, it is not on the boogeyman behind every tree, rock, mailbox and car. But you have to keep steering with precision, or asking for specific gaits or movments, to keep his mind occupied. Dressage out on trail will save your skin.

• geesh, so far the only decent answers you have recieved are from bambi and a bit from gage c...the rest are crap...topping them off with fred w...which if this is what he learned from his mother...i want her name so i can stay far away from both of them!anywho...enough of that already!bambi is right...slowly acclimate...you dont have to have traffic to do this, its all a trust game. my mare hated plastic grocery bags...so i made a game out of them...she loves her withers to be rubbed, so id hold a bag, rub her withers...and then eventually rub her with the bag...stuff like that...thats the simple stuff...traffic...the more you react, the more your horse is going to...going for a walk while leading is very beneficial...talking to them the whole time...even if there is something coming that you think your horse will react to..stop...make them look at it...make them realize you are not concerned...then keep going...take a friend with you walking...talk constantly, dont let anything bother you or interupt your conversation...your horse will get this...anywho, this is how to start...if you dont react, eventually your horse will not...keep moving up into bigger situations, but control the situation the same way and youll be fine...:)

• basically you need to get them used to traffic roaring past so youcould give them grazing near traffic or drive a vehicle through their field or summat similar it takes alot of patience with them especially if there young just take your time and be prepared!!good luck!

• Training time and desentization.Work your horse in lead rope and halter near traffice.Work him on anything just so he gets used to the noise of the traffic. Work on things he already knows. Lead him along the road as traffice passes. It takes time and exposure to trafic to make them less sensitive to it. The more time you spend leading him by the better.Once he leads like nothing is going on try leading him while he is in tack. Then move up to having someone lead him with you in the saddle. If he has been trained well he will be taking cues from you in the saddle. Be careful and good luck.Watch out of bicycles and motor cycles they can really freak out a horse.

• First of all you need to get the horse to associate loud cars/noises to good experiences. When you do this take him out riding on the road to get used to the concrete footing and cars driving by them. Many horses are born with the instinct that cars and loud noises are good not danger, like the Amish horses.

• Well you can start by setting up a pasture right by the road. This will get your horse used to traffic in his own setting. He can spook as he wants, but there isn't anywhere to run. After about a week of that try just leading up to the road with a halter and lead rope. Just stand at the end of you drive way for about 15 minutes. If he spooks just calm him down and wait even longer. Praise and reward him if he is good. Next step is to wlk him up and down the road daily. Don't saddle up or bridle just walk with him halter and lead rope. The saddle and bridle up and walk beside him not on his back! Walk on the road. Do every one of these steps every day until your horse is comfortable with it all. Then lastly saddle and bridle up and walk on the road. If he spooks jump off calm him down and walk beside him for awhile. Then get back on and finish riding. These are helpful steps that you can take. Just remeber to be calm and reassuring and praise and reward when your horse has done a good job. Always end your days training on a good not and have a lot of patience and Repetition!!!

• I don't know where you live but check out a local wagon train. Sometimes when you ride with wagons and other horses it helps . Your horse will see that the horse in front of him/her didn't spook so he/she will learn that it is ok. Same way with crossing water and bridges. Also if you are close to Alabama, every year they have two wagon train trail rides. One leaves from Centre,Al (this is the one I rode on but I cant find the web page right now) and rides 150 miles in 5 days and the other leaves from Boaz,AL (they don't ride the whole time) 190 miles in 10 days http://www.alabamawagontrain.com/ This is a sure way to get a horse bomb proof with traffic. The first year I rode on this my horse was terrified of the oncoming traffic. I just put her beside the yellow line and when a smi truck would come I would make her look at it til it went by. Now don't get me wrong at first she spooked and she would walk sideways but by making her look at it I had her head. The trucks are moving slow so you have time to work them. After about two hours she never spooked again at traffic. I rode this ride for 3 yrs before I moved away. I think I'm gonna try to go back one year for my vacation.Found the one I went on http://www.weis990am.com/s01393.htmCheck them out...I had a blastHope I helped