How often do hermit crabs change shells and how long do they live?

My boys have hermit crabs and now they are in my room and I was wondering about the shell changing because one of them just changed shells.

My boys have hermit crabs and now they are in my room and I was wondering about the shell changing because one of them just changed shells....
    Other Pet Discussions : How often do hermit crabs change shells and how long do they live?...

• How often do hermit crabs change shells and how long do they live?

How often do hermit crabs change shells and how long do they live? Other Pet Discussions
      My boys have hermit crabs and now they are in my room and I was wondering about the shell changing because one of them just changed shells.

How often do hermit crabs change shells and how long do they live? Other Pet Discussions
    • Over this past Spring/Summer, I had several hermit crabs as pets and it just depends on the crabs mood on switching their shells. Few of my crabs changed shells during the Spring season. As to how long the crabs live just depends on their age. I was told that hermit crabs lives up to 8+ years. It just gets tricky because you have to keep the hermit crab habitat moist all the time and the temperature set between 70 to 80.

• Some don't change until they are way too big for their shells, (months)and some like to change 2 or 3 times a day. I always keep several empty shells in their home, so they can choose. It is fun to watch.

• It varies, but they usually change shells when they start to outgrown the one they're in. As far as how long they live, my niece has some that she's had for about five years now (and we have no idea how old they were when she got them). Good luck!