Is there a particular breed of cat that does better in solitude than others?

I was going to get my brother two kittens for a graduation gift, but, since he'll be in an apartment complex that only allows one pet, I can only get him one. I know that most cats do better with a companion. I was wondering if there was a breed fine…

I was going to get my brother two kittens for a graduation gift, but, since he'll be in an apartment complex that only allows one pet, I can only get him one. I know that most cats do better with a companion. I was wondering if there was a breed fine…...
    Other Pet Discussions : Is there a particular breed of cat that does better in solitude than others?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is there a particular breed of cat that does better in solitude than others?

Is there a particular breed of cat that does better in solitude than others? Other Pet Discussions
      I was going to get my brother two kittens for a graduation gift, but, since he'll be in an apartment complex that only allows one pet, I can only get him one. I know that most cats do better with a companion. I was wondering if there was a breed fine by themselves.I do mean only one cat. He'll be home when he isn't working, and he doesn't travel a lot, but he can't have two cats. I've never had cats unless they were in pairs, so I thought I'd ask others opinions. I wasn't really planning on spending a bunch of money on a breed, but, given a choice, I was curious if I should be looking for one breed or breed-mix versus another.

Is there a particular breed of cat that does better in solitude than others? Other Pet Discussions
    • Cats are pretty independent. They often do very well with a companion, however most adult cats are fine without another cat around. Perhaps you could go to the animal shelter and rescue a cat that is an adult, but not real old. Many of these cats prefer being "only cats" and would not get as lonely as a kitten. I have three cats. Two of them (the boys) are very affectionate with each other, sleep cuddled together and eat together. My persion, a female, will not have anything to do with the others. Miss high and mighty prefers to sleep alone (on my bed), eat alone and she sneers at the boys when they are around. Persions are a bit persnikity, aloof and might be a great choice. We did get her as a kitten, and even then she was quite happy to be an only kitty. They are also beautiful cats, but beware, they have long hair and do shed. The boys (a tuxedo and a siamese) also shed, but their hair is short. The tuxedo is bad about shedding white hair on anything dark and black hair on anything white.

• By 'solitude', I'm assuming you mean just one cat and not being left alone all the time, right? No cat likes to be left alone too much. That said, I personally think female cats do best alone, as opposed to male cats (both being spayed/neutered, of course). This is not written in stone, of course. There are exceptions to every rule.Don't go for a particular breed and don't get a cat from a pet shop. Please visit your local shelter, vet, or no-kill animal rescue people in your area and get a homeless pet.Whether you decide on a kitten or an adult pet should be determined by the amount of work your brother wants to put into it. Kittens are cute and funny, but lots of work and tend to get up to way more mischief than adult cats. If you can find local animal rescuers who shelter unwanted pets in their own homes, they can usually suggest a pet that suits your particular situation. Good luck!Polly