What is the average life span of a fighting fish?

I want to get a fighting fish, but I dont know how long they usually live, we have had one before, but he jumped out of the tank, so I still dont know the average life span of a fighting fish. I want one but not if they dont live long, and not if its…

I want to get a fighting fish, but I dont know how long they usually live, we have had one before, but he jumped out of the tank, so I still dont know the average life span of a fighting fish. I want one but not if they dont live long, and not if its…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the average life span of a fighting fish?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the average life span of a fighting fish?

What is the average life span of a fighting fish? Other Pet Discussions
      I want to get a fighting fish, but I dont know how long they usually live, we have had one before, but he jumped out of the tank, so I still dont know the average life span of a fighting fish. I want one but not if they dont live long, and not if its going to be a waste of money. Are fighting fish even a good fish to get?

What is the average life span of a fighting fish? Other Pet Discussions
    • Siamese fighting fish are great! They usually live about three years, but with very good care-taking they could live up to five. They need a 5 or 10 gallon tank. They are a great fish to get not a waste of money. I also have 4 pygmy puffer fish also tropical fish. They are even better living for 5 years feeding them on blood worms, brine shrimp, krill, water flea and snails to keep their teeth down. They are even more fun in pairs but they live alone fine! They aaren'tas pretty as a siamese fighter but they are much better; Normally Siamese fighters are 1 or 2 years old in the fish shop so you normally don't have it much longer. But the ddwarfpygmy puffers are only 3 months old or less. They will live for longer. Pygmy puffers need 3 or 5 gallons per fish. So in a 5 gallon tank you could maybe keep two of them. In a 10 gallon tank, 2 or 3. I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 pygmy puffers ( They can't live with Siamese fighting fish ) They should really be kept by themselves or with 4-6 oOtto'sHope this helped!

• Only one male per tank or plenty of hiding places. Males will fight to the death!These fish have beautiful fins, you just have to have peaceful non nipping fish with them. No barbs or fast swimming surface fish. The fins shred very easily and that is most of the grace and beauty gone even if they keep their colours.Fighters are usually short lived about 2 years plus. I would not buy them again unless I was keeping several pairs - in a divided tank for display. They are beautiful but high maintenance. I can think of easier to keep, just as attractive fish to buy and something you can have several of in together!

• Plenty of 'fighting fish' - to which do you refer? Siamese? If these, it all depends on how you house them and how you look after them. Females live much longer than males. The males are - as human - somewhat simple but problematic. If properly housed and cared for, at least 2 years - as much as 4.