What is the point of registering your dog?

I recently got a purebred dog and papers to have him registered. I am not planning on breeding or showing, so is there a reason to do so?

I recently got a purebred dog and papers to have him registered. I am not planning on breeding or showing, so is there a reason to do so?...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the point of registering your dog?...

• What is the point of registering your dog?

What is the point of registering your dog? Other Pet Discussions
      I recently got a purebred dog and papers to have him registered. I am not planning on breeding or showing, so is there a reason to do so?

What is the point of registering your dog? Other Pet Discussions
    • No there is no reason to send them in if you plan on getting him/her fixed and you dont plan on showing or breeding. However if you dont register him give the orginazation that he/she is registered thought and just let them know that you arent planning on regeristering him/her so they can cancel the papers. How ever even if you dont plan on breeding or showing you should still send them in just so you have them. All my puppies are registered even thought some of them are spayed/neutered. But like i said call the registry if you dont plan on sending them in to prevent theft of pedigrees its kinda a problem in the breeding world. Best of luck and hope this helps Kelly.

• Yes. Dogs can be dangerous, plain and simple. You don't have to register cats because they can't seriously hurt poeple, so it's not a breeding thing. Dogs, however, can actually kill people (although for all I know you could have a purebred Cocker Spaniel). The government wants to know whose dog yours is if it ever hurts anybody.

• Registration for dogs is for show and breeding purposes. A dog must be on record with some registering body (usually AKC) to enter dog shows and both parents must be registered for a puppy to be registered. It helps with keeping purebred dog records.

• No, there's no reason to register your dog if you're not planning on breeding or showing. AKC is probably the last of the semi-dependable registries, but having an AKC registered dog still doesn't mean that you have a dog free of congenital health problems. .

• If not participating in confirmation the other events you can participate in with an AKC registered number are:Agility, Coonhound Events, Earth Dog, Field Trials, Herding, Hunting Trials, Lure Crossing, Obedience, AKC Rally, and Tracking.The most practical "award" a family dog can receive is the AKC "Canine Good Citizen" certification. In my opinion there are more realistic situations & you can proudly get a certificate and a big blue & yellow tag, (my dog has one), and the skills you both learn can make life easier & your dog is just that much more smarter! Click the source for more info :)BTW: I also got curious about doggie family members & even found a few online!