How do I know when my kittens will start going to the bathroom?

I have 5 two-week old kittens and right now all they do is crawl around their box and drink milk from their mom. I thought they were gonna start 'pooping' and 'peeing' on the box, but there is nothing! it doesn't even smell bad. Are they peeing and I…

I have 5 two-week old kittens and right now all they do is crawl around their box and drink milk from their mom. I thought they were gonna start 'pooping' and 'peeing' on the box, but there is nothing! it doesn't even smell bad. Are they peeing and I…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I know when my kittens will start going to the bathroom?...

• How do I know when my kittens will start going to the bathroom?

How do I know when my kittens will start going to the bathroom? Other Pet Discussions
      I have 5 two-week old kittens and right now all they do is crawl around their box and drink milk from their mom. I thought they were gonna start 'pooping' and 'peeing' on the box, but there is nothing! it doesn't even smell bad. Are they peeing and I dont notice? Will they start pooping as soon as they start eating?

How do I know when my kittens will start going to the bathroom? Other Pet Discussions
    • lol they are going to the bathroom. Don't u think they would have exploded by now lol. When they are very little the mother stimulates then to go potty by licking them and then she well u know cleans them up. Now they are doing it on their own but she is still cleaning it up.

• your kittens will start pooping all over the place when thier mom stops eating it. stick them in the litter box, they should start using it on their own. if not, find the place where they tend to poop the most and stick the litter box there. they will end up using it where ever you move it.

• the mother licks up the poops of the kittens ,have a litter box ready .so that the mother can teach them to use it ,instead of doing it your drawers or on the carpet.they need sand ,or car litter ,or sawdust .to poop in because when they finish they cover it up with their paws.and clean the litter box every couple of days if not more because a load of kittens make a load of poop,and if the box is to full they start throwing it over the edges.when they eat solids they will start to poop solids strange but true

• I had little kittens when I was a kid, but I never paid much attention to their bathroom habits. I'm sure they must be voiding someplace. Does the mother cat clean the voiding? I don't know. But they WILL start using a litter box at a very young age, as soon as they can walk well and start exploring. It's natural for them to void in a litter box or dirt. Make sure the box is low enough for them to get in & out easily. Contrary to other people who have posted questions about their cats not using the litterbox, I have never had a cat who did not use the box. Maybe I'm lucky. But cats always want to hide and cover up their mess...I guess it's instinctual. Good luck!

• The mother will teach them to use the litterbox at the same time she weans them.A cat I had took each one of he kittens to the box and showed the kitten how to use it. Then the kitten would climb in and use it. I thought it was facinating to watch. To wean them after teaching them to use the litterbox, she would only let one kitten start to feed. Then she would get up, go to her dish and show the kitten to eat some food. It would start eating the cat food. She did this with each kitten seperately. Worked like a charm.

• Not true.... The vet told me that they do not go to the bathroom until they start eating soild food. In like there 5th week. if you think they might be pre mature in any way you need to take them to the vet. i had to put my kitten to sleep. he was 6 weeks old and he's anus was too small to go to the bathroom. He had only went once and it was so hard for him and he would yell and scream, it was too painful to watch, so i took him to the vet. The vet said she could have helped my kitten when he was smaller, fixed his small anus, but not when he was developed at 6 weeks.good luck!

• there mom licks them so they will go and because they only have her milk she cleans it as they go so there is not anything to take care of she is doing that. Once they begin eating then comes oder,and there first litter box. Best to you and yours

• Your kittens are being cleaned by their mother when they poop and pee at that age. Their mother licks them clean until about 4 - 5 weeks. Their mother will then train them to use the cat box as long as she uses it. Put a small cat box near the litter so that they will be able to crawl into it when the mother starts training them.

• Its gross, but mama cat cleans all that up for them. So they are pooping and they are peeing.At that age the mother cat has to stimulate them to go to the bathroom by licking them. As she licks them they go to the bath room - and as you can guess - thats where it mostly goes.I'e had to bottle feed many abandoned kittens from ages 1 week and up. I have to use a warm wet paper towl to stimulate them to go, and as they go to the bathroom the paper towl catches it and cleans it off of them - just like the mother cat would do.