How can you make a horse not arena sour?

My friend has an arena sour horse and she keeps getting disqualified at horse shows. Can some one help me and her with her horse?My friend horse does gaming. We try leading him in backing him in horse going behind him horses going in frint of him and…

My friend has an arena sour horse and she keeps getting disqualified at horse shows. Can some one help me and her with her horse?My friend horse does gaming. We try leading him in backing him in horse going behind him horses going in frint of him and…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can you make a horse not arena sour?...

• How can you make a horse not arena sour?

How can you make a horse not arena sour? Other Pet Discussions
      My friend has an arena sour horse and she keeps getting disqualified at horse shows. Can some one help me and her with her horse?My friend horse does gaming. We try leading him in backing him in horse going behind him horses going in frint of him and horses beside him nothing is working!

How can you make a horse not arena sour? Other Pet Discussions
    • Tell me why she is being disqualified...the term arena sour is too generalized.ADD....I haven't seen any additional training to stop this. I have seen creative methods to get the horse into the arena, such as wearing blinders, that worked.

• Your question is too general. Be more specific. The signs the horse is showing when it goes in the ring. There could be multiple reasons why it doesn't like arenas. Medical, emotional, mental, physical...we need some info. Update your info then we can help ya out :)

• I would have to say it depends on the event and the reason she is sour. I have "fixed" a number of jumping horses and barrel horses as it seems that those are the most afflicted in my area. A good couple of exercises that every horse should know are "hips over" and "shoulder over" these are started on the ground and then taken into the saddle. "Hips over" is an excellent exercises for gaining control as apposed to "bending the neck" that many do. When asking for the "Hips over" the release (Reward) is not given until the hip moves over. Once the horse knows the "Hips over cue" you move to "shoulder over" where you ask a particular shoulder to move either in or out. Once these rae established you can vary the routine. In our training facility for every 1 hour of arena work on a "made" horse we will trail ride for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. We find that we can still "work" on the trails but the horse has an opportunity to get out there and be outside a rail. If the horse is arena sour and is a speed event horse and the horse is a "made" horse then NO speed work should be done except at the shows. No matter the discipline, take the horse in the arena and work on something else entirely. Practice the hips and shoulders, developing smoother lateral movement. Stretch the horse before and after the ride. Check the back for sore spots. Evaluate your saddle's fit. Are there dry spots on your saddle blanket?These are som e of the few things we do when we get a horse that needs a break from constant work in the arena.

• take the horse out and ride him out in a prairie or mountain, and do not do anything related to the arena, like no excersizes she would do normally, no warm ups nothing just get on and pleasure ride, and make them only like 4 r 5 hours long depending on the horse and if its in shape you dont want to tire the horse. also do these normal pleasure rides alot as a treat for the horse. arena sour is actually caused by always being rode in the arena alsways being worked in arena eing worked to where the horse if tired, always doing the same thing. id say the horse needs a break from the arena. and afterriding the horse on pleasure rides do the pleasure rides for like a mo like 1 or 2 a day then after a month slowly start introducing the arena to the horse again ans the first month of introducing the horse back to the arena make the rides short like 1 or 2 hours and do things tht the horse didnt do before. like maybe put a calf in there, teach the horse something new. alot of times they get board and tired of being worked all the time, or worked the same thing over and over again. it would be like you NEVER doing anything different doing the exact same thing to a T everyday. try that and do ground work that always helps no matter how old the horse or how experienced. i always recommend ground work the basics with everyone in all of my classes i hold for horsemanship. just a heads up trying to trick the horse with other orses if the horse is real sour will not work. if the horse has to go into the arena try a different gait, lead the horse in on foot, try backing the horse in and if all else fails and theres no other choice put the horse into the horse trailer and back up to the arena gate to when the horse has to get out he is in the arena and getting out of the horse trailer and being in the arena isnt something the horse will expect so that might be what you have to do until u get the time to ride him out

• The sad truth is many gamers, rail horses and reiners get totally fried on repetition. This "burn out" is something that the pros deal with every day.....some more successfully than others. A burned out rail horse is a nightmare to ride...they'll cheat you at every step around the show pen. If she uses a crop or a section of "rope" plus spurs to encourage her horse to give her more speed, this is a major part of the problem....Seriously, ask yourself if you'd head into an arena at a dead run, only to round your first barrel and your rider begins to tag your butt with sharp whacks off a crop or "rope"...and by the time you hit the third barrel and turn for home you get your butt whacked all the way back to the finish line...you're doing your very best (the horse) but the "whacking" doesn't stop. Where's the reward for the horse?....There isn't one...that horse is telling your friend he has had enough for now. The disqualifications will continue if the horse demonstrates he's a danger to his rider or other horses. Many reiners are kept sound of mind and it's all in their training as youngsters. Many years ago, it wasn't that way; if you were showing a reiner he was pretty well spoiled to try to do anything else with him...totally speed crazy. The Pro trainers have gotten a whole lot smarter as to how they bring these horses along today. Many reiners are able to compete into their teenage years..it all depends on how they're brought along. Your friend needs to trail ride that horse for now and forget about speed events on him.....if she brings the horse back to it after a good rest away from it and he then does ok, you'll know you were on the right track. (Ride that horse into the arena and just sit on him..don't ask him to do a thing). A lot of horses don't "recover" from this as they're fried on speed work and the rider's insistence that he go faster.Edit: Thumbmies down..go ride you stick horses in someone elses arena.

• I find that anytime a horse gets sour they need a little vacation.A couple weeks/month to just be a horse.Do you like working all the time?The short and sweet answer is VACATION!http://www.saferhorseracing.com/gpage17.html

• She needs to ride him outside of the arena..go on trails, work cattle, do something with him to get him totally away from the arena. He may already be to the point that he will never work for her in the arena again, he is sick of it. He could also have an old injury that he got running that is hurting him and he doesn't want to run any more and that's what he does in the arena. She needs to forget running him and the arena for a long long time. She needs to ride in some pretty rough country so that he has something real on his mind instead of chasing cans.

• If you find the answer to this let me know!I ride my barrel horse on nothing but trails.. we never touch an arena til we get to shows..He'll go into the gate fine the first time..then after that forget it... and this horse LOVES to run.. I never spur or kick or whip him once he's in the gate.. I just give him his head and tell him where to turn!There's no way he's burnt out either because we've only gone to 2 shows this whole year, and this is only our 2nd season....Idk, this wasnt really an answer, more of a vent/empathy for your friend.. It's very frustrating =[

• Stop showing for now until you can walk the horse calmly around the ring (at home), TRAIL RIDE, TRAIL RIDE, TRAIL RIDE the bugger until you never want to trail ride again lol but honestly...you need to do more than run the snot out of the horse...because your problem is exactly what happens when you just run them...they get stressed & stupid and cant do anything but run...its not their fault...its their training..or lack there of....dont force that horse into the ring...if it cant walk through the gate by itself...it shouldnt be at the show...sorry...but thats how it is...i hate it when it takes ppl 15 minutes to get their horses in the ring...my trainer has always been firm that for every 1 hour of training we do, I trail ride for atleast 3 hours...I have a barrel mare, she loves to run, but she you would never know it when she calmly walks to the ring, runs her guts out, when stops, backs up & walks out...this is the result of TRAIL RIDING!!! DO IT!A world class barrel horse does not run barrels over and over between competitions but works on collection and balance and fitness, and may never see a barrel for days or weeks at a time, its true...part of being a competitor is not just running your event over & over...its working each aspect of the event by itself, so it can be combined into an unbeatable combination on show day :) Good Luck & HAPPY TRAILS!

• prior to the day of show... take the time and find an available arena. maybe it may be the other horses or the excitement within the arena ... hard to say with how the ? is asked... but then be calm...try to put the horse in the arena and let it loose... let the horse explore the boogie things for itself...