How do I train my dogs to use the new doggie door?

I've got a German Shepherd and a Pit Bull and I thought I'd be a piece of cake, they're smart and love being in the house. HELP! They oddly act as if they're scared of the door.

I've got a German Shepherd and a Pit Bull and I thought I'd be a piece of cake, they're smart and love being in the house. HELP! They oddly act as if they're scared of the door....
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I train my dogs to use the new doggie door?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I train my dogs to use the new doggie door?

How do I train my dogs to use the new doggie door? Other Pet Discussions
      I've got a German Shepherd and a Pit Bull and I thought I'd be a piece of cake, they're smart and love being in the house. HELP! They oddly act as if they're scared of the door.

How do I train my dogs to use the new doggie door? Other Pet Discussions
    • Did you just install it? It took my puppy a while to get used to it....but she got the hang of it in a day or so. It helps if you get someone to help you and taunt them inside and out with a fav. toy or treat. Make sure they have to go through the door to get it and after a while they will realize it's nothing to be afarid of, in fact it will become their best friend allowing them freedom to move indoors or out as they please.

• TREATS.. You on outside of door and them inside. Use their favorite treat or toy as a lure out the door. And the first time they use it, LOTS of praise...so they understand that what they did was okay in their leader's eyes..thats you! Good Luck

• yes treats definitely do workyou might need to tape the door open for a little while so they get used to it...sometimes the noise and the way the door hits them is what freaks them out...if you tape it open and tempt them thru w/treats they should get the hang of it in no time flat

• Well, I'm not sure if you have kids. They might be of use with this. The dogs are probably afraid of it. New things and change of "scenery" will through them off and make them skeptical. With them there with you, try and go throught it yourself. You have to show them its okay, otherwise its a lost cause. Have someone on both sides of the doggie door, try and go through it or get someone who can fit. Make sure the dogs are with you! Once they see its okay, try and get them to follow the person who goes through. Good luck! Ellienix05- PS- do not use treats! Dogs are very smart and once they see they get treats they will only do it if they know there are treats involved!

• go throw the doggy door and let them follw. or go outside and call their names. Keep doing what works. and pritty soon they will be use to going throw it.(and if they want outside DON'T open the door for them).