How do I get my cat to come up from the basement?

I have 2 cats, and i got an australian shepherd about 7 mos ago. Now the 1 cat will not come up from the basement. I bring her up, and she runs right back down. Any suggestions?

I have 2 cats, and i got an australian shepherd about 7 mos ago. Now the 1 cat will not come up from the basement. I bring her up, and she runs right back down. Any suggestions?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my cat to come up from the basement?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get my cat to come up from the basement?

How do I get my cat to come up from the basement? Other Pet Discussions
      I have 2 cats, and i got an australian shepherd about 7 mos ago. Now the 1 cat will not come up from the basement. I bring her up, and she runs right back down. Any suggestions?

How do I get my cat to come up from the basement? Other Pet Discussions
    • sounds like your cat is really spooked by the dog and is looking for it's own private, safe area. does the dog have access to the entire house? if so, would keep the dog in one area--so the cats "own" the rest of the house, which is what they had before the dog showed up. (child-safety gates work well in my house--keeps the two dogs away from the one cat:-) good luck! let us know how things turn out.

• Try introducing your cat to the new dog, gradually.Catch the cat FIRST. One person hold the cat gently, but securely. Have a GOOD grip on her paws, front and back, so you don't get scratched. Have a second person hold the dog, and bring him toward her. Stop at the distance where the cat gets pretty upset. Hold the cat. Hold the dog. Wait.Stroke her, pet her, try to show that the dog is RIGHT THERE, and NO, nothing bad is happening.Repeat, bringing the dog a bit closer.Repeat, repeat, repeat. Day after day.If it gets to the point where they are relatively close to one another, let the CAT sniff the dog, not vice versa. Make SURE the cat does not scratch the dog, or bite him.If at any point the dog starts barking, back off and try again later.Your cat may or may not ever come to accept the dog.

• Kimster and Ano are correct. First, don't force your cat to do anything. It really will make things worse. And, by all means, let you cat have the refuge of the basement. (And dont banish the other cat).The goal is simple: to make the basement cat feel safe and wanted in the upstairs part of the house. Keep this goal in mind!This has some nice tips http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/catintro.pdf