How can I adopt a dog without going thru a ridiculous interrogation?

I have been looking at websites for dog adoption, but some of the applications are crazy. One wanted to call my supervisor at work to verify my income, poistion, how long with the company, and get a reference. Another one wanted to do a home inspection,…

I have been looking at websites for dog adoption, but some of the applications are crazy. One wanted to call my supervisor at work to verify my income, poistion, how long with the company, and get a reference. Another one wanted to do a home inspection,…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I adopt a dog without going thru a ridiculous interrogation?...

• How can I adopt a dog without going thru a ridiculous interrogation?

How can I adopt a dog without going thru a ridiculous interrogation? Other Pet Discussions
      I have been looking at websites for dog adoption, but some of the applications are crazy. One wanted to call my supervisor at work to verify my income, poistion, how long with the company, and get a reference. Another one wanted to do a home inspection, and I had to agree to "follow-up visits, which will sometimes be unannounced, anytime between 8am and 9pm" after adopting the dog.One wanted my Driver's lic number and social security number. Yet another wanted a credit/backround check!!I have had dogs before, I understand pet ownership is not for everyone, but I really think these organizations, while I am sure they mean well, are overdoing it. I love dogs, but I will not agree to someone causing a problem for me at my job (my boss might think I am looking for another job)or showing up at my house anytime they want and demand to reinspect my house and see my dog.

How can I adopt a dog without going thru a ridiculous interrogation? Other Pet Discussions
    • your best bet is to go out in the field and find one wondering around looking hagardly and hungry,he will need your help and love quicker than the ones at the pound.

• Its not just that pet ownership is not for everyone (which is very true). These organizations are trying to verify that you are who you say you are. There are many people who will falsify information to obtain animals for nefarious reasons. This is also why they want to have "unscheduled follow up visits" - to make sure the animal they have placed with you is really living at your residence and to ensure it is not in an abusive situation.

• There are always adds in the paper for free pets. The risk of getting a dog with disease, would seem less. I had to put $300 into my little guy after he came here. Keep your eyes on the newspaper and be one of the first to call about the pet. If you wait even a couple of hours after the paper comes out, your chances are slim to finding one

• Sometimes it is necessary for these people to know your background and your income for example because in having a pet especially dogs you have to really be a very responsible person. Dogs or pets require love, attention and care. You also have to devote some time with them, like walking them outside, grooming, feeding and playing with them. For home inspection, maybe these people wanted to check if there is enough space in your home for a dog. Dogs love space.Also, some people want to have dogs but when they get tired with them they just neglect them and sometimes leave them out in the streets to fend for themselves thats why there are stray dogs.So if you really really want to have a dog, it is better to go over all their interrogations.It will be safer for you and for the welfare of your dog.

• I had the same problem. I live in an apartment, and many of the shelters would not even consider letting me have one. What I ended up doing was going to the city pound, and they don't need nearly as much information. Also, the dogs there are very happy to be adopted. It's cheaper and easier.

• LOL...Don't go down the street or in a field and take one, or your next interrogation will be after your arrest..lol.. Do watch the classifieds in the newspaper or run an ad in the paper, 'want to share a loving home with a free puppy'.

• Good luck!! Try adopting a human baby... talk about interrogations! (been at it for about 3 years now...)There are serial dog-abusers out there... a neighbor of mine actually was on probation for beating a previous dog and was not allowed to own a dog, we called animal control on him repeatedly b/c we would hear his new dogs crying, see his 8 or 10week-old puppy in the back yard that didn't even respond to squirels... etc. He finally got busted pretty hard! :)Try the pound, network with friends (that's how I got one of my dogs...), check the paper, both reading the "puppy available" ads and try running an ad of your own- "SWF looking to share moonlit walks with SBM- Lab mix prefered..."