How can I keep my kitten from jumping on the furniture while I am out?

He is about 6 months and loves knocking the centerpeice off my table. When I am around, I am working on training him by going over, pulling him off the table, saying "No!" and then blowing in his face (the vet says thats a good way to train?)...HELP!…

He is about 6 months and loves knocking the centerpeice off my table. When I am around, I am working on training him by going over, pulling him off the table, saying "No!" and then blowing in his face (the vet says thats a good way to train?)...HELP!…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I keep my kitten from jumping on the furniture while I am out?...

• How can I keep my kitten from jumping on the furniture while I am out?

How can I keep my kitten from jumping on the furniture while I am out? Other Pet Discussions
      He is about 6 months and loves knocking the centerpeice off my table. When I am around, I am working on training him by going over, pulling him off the table, saying "No!" and then blowing in his face (the vet says thats a good way to train?)...HELP!

How can I keep my kitten from jumping on the furniture while I am out? Other Pet Discussions
    • You could place double sided tape in the areas around where you want him to stay away. You wouldn't have to keep it there forever, just until he learns to stay away/down. When you are home, another way is to make noise that scares him only when he jumps on the table. BUT, it may be confusing to a cat that he can jump on some things and not others. I think the double sided tape may work best if you can do it.

• I have 2 cats that love to knock everything around when I am gone or asleep. I constructed a cage that is 3'x3'x6' using chicken wire and 2x2's. It sits in the corner of my bedroom and has food and water bowls mounted on the frame to keep them from spilling. I also cut a large limb from one of my trees that is mounted on the floor of the cage and reaches almost to the top. They have their toys in there and often go in it to sleep during the day. They love it.

• Well I'm going to give you a suggestion that worked for me with my cats and dogs. If I was sitting in the room and they did whatever I would take a cushion and throw it at them. They would have no idea where it came from. After a while they stayed away because they eventually knew, at least in their heads, that if they did that they would get a cushion thrown at them. I don't know why but it worked with 3 of my pets. Good luck, they are just like teaching your children, aren't they.

• There are several strategies you can adopt.The first is set up a scratching post and make it attractive to your kitten. Put its toys nearby and put catnip nearby so it plays there. Scratching posts are available at your local pet store. Encourage your kitten every time it uses the scratching post.The second is to make your furniture unattractive to your cat. There is a repellent spray you can get called Boundary Indoor/Outdoor Cat Repellent from Lambert Kay. Place double sided strips on the couch if necessary or place netting over the furniture as cats don't like to snag their claws.If necessary, you can confine the kitten to the scratching post area when you are gone. You can also cap your kittens nails with Soft Claw Nail Caps for cats available at PetSmart and probably other petcare outfits as well.

• a cheap and effective method is to take any citrus fruit peel and rub it where u dont want kitty to be ...cats hate citrus for some reason, so use it everywhere even on the flower beds. it stops them using it as a litterbox.

• double sided tape sounds good but also aluminum foil seems to workcats hate the feeling of foil and they tend to stayanother is to balance some cans or sumthing tied together on top so if he tries to jump up they will fall, make noise, and scare himu should def try tho soon otherwise ur cat will learn tht it is OK to jump on the table when ur gone, but not when ur there

• Aluminum foil and double sided tape are good ideas. You could also try moving the centerpiece to a closet or somewhere else inaccessible while you are gone. This removes the temptation to knock it over. Also, by removing the centerpiece while you're out of the house, it keeps the cat from getting confused about the behavior modification you're working on with him. You're doing the right thing when you're home, but if the centerpiece is still there and no one is around to discipline him when you're out, you're sending the message "it's only OK to knock this over when mommy is not home".