How long does it take to break a ferret of biting?

My 9wk old ferret will not stop biting our toes or will occasionally bite fingers.We clap our hands say no and occasionally cuff her.Then she'll come after us after she gets in trouble almost like she's pissed off.She will literally go after me after I…

My 9wk old ferret will not stop biting our toes or will occasionally bite fingers.We clap our hands say no and occasionally cuff her.Then she'll come after us after she gets in trouble almost like she's pissed off.She will literally go after me after I…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How long does it take to break a ferret of biting?...

• How long does it take to break a ferret of biting?

How long does it take to break a ferret of biting? Other Pet Discussions
      My 9wk old ferret will not stop biting our toes or will occasionally bite fingers.We clap our hands say no and occasionally cuff her.Then she'll come after us after she gets in trouble almost like she's pissed off.She will literally go after me after I discipline her.How long will it take to break her of this habit.I have 10 days left before I can't return her to the petstore.Any suggestions?

How long does it take to break a ferret of biting? Other Pet Discussions
    • don't return her. ferrets have tough skin and they play with each other and bite hard sometimes. they really like your feet and ankles. you can start by putting your hand around her mouth and say NO. she'll get the message sooner or later. remember she's just a baby. The corrections you'r giving are more of a game to her right now. you have to be firmer with her. if she doesn't stop after a few corrections put her back in her cage. a mother ferret wouldm't put up with that if she got too rough.

• Scruff her when she bites. Say NO very loud. Put her in her cage for a 'time out'. Like the last person said....seems like your ferret is making a game of this. Ferrets will respond to the scruffing...because in a litter...their mother's would do this if they are getting too bitey with the others. Good luck :) She'll grow out of it too....

• Follow the suggestions from the previous 2 answerers--I tried everything with my first very young ferret, and what finally clicked was scruffing him, holding him right up to my face & telling him "no!" It is unpleasant--by way of being startling--without causing any real harm.I would suggest that you don't cuff her anymore, if by "cuff" you mean "hit". That's not appropriate discipline for a ferret.She is just a baby; 9 weeks is just barely weaned.