What is it that keeps dogs from learning the human language?

Other than dogs learning certain sounds and gestures, why can't you teach a dog english? If you can teach a baby over time, how come you can't teach a dog?

Other than dogs learning certain sounds and gestures, why can't you teach a dog english? If you can teach a baby over time, how come you can't teach a dog?...
    General Dog Discussions : What is it that keeps dogs from learning the human language?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is it that keeps dogs from learning the human language?

What is it that keeps dogs from learning the human language? General Dog Discussions
      Other than dogs learning certain sounds and gestures, why can't you teach a dog english? If you can teach a baby over time, how come you can't teach a dog?

What is it that keeps dogs from learning the human language? General Dog Discussions
    • If your talking about them talking its because they don't have they necessary vocal cords to make the sounds. One of my dogs TRIES to speak but he cant they can make sounds similar to some of the letters in the word but not all of they keeping them from talking. Some dogs (like mine) can get the syllables right but not the sound.

• Although our anatomy is similar I think its because they don't have a voice box as humans do just vocal cords to make sounds, it's either that or their voice box is built differently.Check with your vet, I'd like to know for sure.

• um because the dog is not human? That is what is preventing your dog from learning human languageDogs and human babies are 2 different things. Humans are more advanced at communication than dogs are- dogs only need to know very basics in communication, they have little need for learning a language.

• There are many people who are confused over this issue. Dogs are not human beings. They are completely animal and not even fully domesticated. They do not comprehend human language at all. They are simply obeying a pack order where humans are alpha to them. All that they do was explained by Pavlov.

• I don't quite understand your question. Are you asking why you can't teach a dog to talk like babies learn to talk? Because they don't have that special ability to talk. THEY ARE DOGS. It's like teaching a cat to bark or quack; impossible. People, please don't confuse your dogs with your children. Dogs are different species, that's why "you can't teach a dog" to actually talk.

• Babies are going to become human adults who need language to communicate. Dogs will not, dogs need only the understanding of basic language so that is all there minds learn(they reach about the level of a 2 year old) and there bodies cannot form human speech.

• Dogs DO learn human language....whatever words we teach them.They learn it as a second language, however....it is not their native language, although I have had dogs (and horses) with a fairly large vocabulary.Dogs do not have minds that are capable of comprehending human concepts or culture, and they are not physically capable of human speech.I have heard it said that dogs have the intelligence of a human two year old. I have no idea if thats true, but if it is, human two years olds cannot understand many human concepts, either, and have a very limited vocabulary, as well.