How can I start a Pitbull Rescue?

I am 15 and I am dying to start a pitty rescue. I love them so much I want to help them. I have been looking into it for a while and I know this will be my future route. I know the massive amount of money, time, patience, and effort this will take. I…

I am 15 and I am dying to start a pitty rescue. I love them so much I want to help them. I have been looking into it for a while and I know this will be my future route. I know the massive amount of money, time, patience, and effort this will take. I…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I start a Pitbull Rescue?...

• How can I start a Pitbull Rescue?

How can I start a Pitbull Rescue? Other Pet Discussions
      I am 15 and I am dying to start a pitty rescue. I love them so much I want to help them. I have been looking into it for a while and I know this will be my future route. I know the massive amount of money, time, patience, and effort this will take. I need tips and ways to sucessfully start a pitty rescue. I am in Pennsylvania, I will be opening up in north west PA in 3 years. Any rude comments or answers not answering my question at all, you will be reported. I am already looking into a job for a little bit, but that may not be enough.What different fundraisers can I do to prepare? What else can I do to prepare? (If you need any extra info, just ask)@BluebonnetgrannyYou are an idiot! You never see the abuse side of the dog bites. You were badly informed by the media, i see.@BluebonnetgrannyYou are an idiot! You never see the abuse side of the dog bites. You were badly informed by the media, i see.

How can I start a Pitbull Rescue? Other Pet Discussions
    • I would wait until you are a little older. It is great that you want to help them though.First graduate school. There is a lot to do.You need a dog behaviorist. You need property. You need to get volunteers. Most importantly, you need to get donations to get the shelter constantly flowing. Without donations, it will be hard to keep the rescue open.

• Pitbull dogs are very powerful dog breeds, of course they are loving and gentle if brought up like that but what happens if you get some pretty tough dogs in your rescue and cannot control them? I'm telling you now to be careful, I am not saying they are vicious but they can be if trained or brought up bad by their owners! Sorry for not answering your question, I just think it's best you do more research on many dog breeds, dog training, etc. It takes years to learn so much, and become and expert. I am younger than you, but I know a lot about German shepherds. Of course, I cannot not control a shelter of them or two puppies together though, hah

• You'll need to be licensed and bonded. Have a place to keep them, and access to medical care that will be willing to work for next to nothing. Then you'll need to be able to screen folks who want to adopt, as well as the capability to provide all required shots. It's not just going out and finding puppies to play with, kid.

• They are overbred and many end up in the pound, so an awareness program and helping people find cheap spay and neuter clinics would be great to keep people from backyard breeding them which leads to unstable dogs would be a good place to start. 90% of the dogs at my local pound are pits..and many are put down every day.

• I would recommend volunteering either at another shelter or find a reputable rescue group in your area. It is just difficult with you being a minor because there are always legal things involved in any business type adventure that only an adult would be able to take on...insurance, paying bills, etc. Sounds like you are giving yourself time to prepare & seeing what other places do would be a great opportunity:) Someone may even take you on as a mentor. Good luck!

• I think what you want to do is awesome, I'm 21 now and plan on running a rescue, I'm going to school to be a vet so I don't have to hire anyone and eventually will buy land and begin building the rescue. You have to have a lot of experience, right now you can volunteer or if your parents will let you foster dogs, that what I do and you get plenty of experience. Pitbulls are a tough breed but there's tougher out there and if its what you love go for it. When you turn 18 you can start making adult decisions and I would suggest pursuing a career that will help you run the shelter in the long run. There's a lot of people out there willing to help animals, a lot of that has to do with location. As far as fundraisers its whatever you can make a profit from, anything as simple as lemonade stands to getting involved in fundraising organizations. It sounds like you have your heart in the right place, now all you can do is save up and plan your future right, a little bit of good luck never hurts either :)

• That's a very ambitious goal for someone who can't/won't take their cat to the vet. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnlhrH1cDAWZsjfVLMI_.2bty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20130113060756AAn7B6whttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AiNcW_ue_8VvqcBh5GOToifty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20130112173628AAMjc4Whttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=As1wG9vkBXPOFoH42oYzzzfty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20120827143801AAqsR19http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ArLWzydpazwcdE7TY8aHcLbty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20120825200920AASRNYY

• Your very first step would be to contact zoning & see if they will allow that kind of business where you are.If zoning does not permit it, it don't happen. You may have to buy land. & all the red tape of being a non-profit organization. piles & piles of paper work & forms, business license, Animal control permit & inspections, fire inspections & the list goes on & on......You can't raise funds for a business that doesn't exist yet. You could let other people pay into or invest in you or your business to get things started but eventually it will be a non-profit org., A President, a Secretary, money manager, board of directors, advertisingIf you get that far start a rehab center for the many pits that need it.I have worked with the breed in many different ways & I do not like or trust the breed in general. I know there are always exceptions to the rule & can accept that but not all pit are good dogs!This is more my thought than anything else.http://enhs.umn.edu/current/6120/bites/dogbitefatal.html

• You're underage, sorry. Volunteer at an existing one, learn what goes into the rescue - how it operates and what the down sides are. You can't start up one until you know how to run it from the inside out. It's expensive, it's time consuming, you don't make any money at it, and there is a huge amount of burnout in people who run rescues.