How to NATURALLY sedate a cat for a move to a new house?

Do you know of a natural and/or 100% safe way to sedate a feline? I am moving into a new house within the next month or so and am looking for ideas because she is very anxious anytime she needs to go out of the house or is exposed to new…

Do you know of a natural and/or 100% safe way to sedate a feline? I am moving into a new house within the next month or so and am looking for ideas because she is very anxious anytime she needs to go out of the house or is exposed to new…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How to NATURALLY sedate a cat for a move to a new house?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to NATURALLY sedate a cat for a move to a new house?

How to NATURALLY sedate a cat for a move to a new house? Other Pet Discussions
      Do you know of a natural and/or 100% safe way to sedate a feline? I am moving into a new house within the next month or so and am looking for ideas because she is very anxious anytime she needs to go out of the house or is exposed to new environments.Again, I would highly prefer to keep it natural. But, if chemicals must be used I want to make sure it is 100% cat-safe.

How to NATURALLY sedate a cat for a move to a new house? Other Pet Discussions
    • One approach that may work is to spray the inside of the carrier with Feliway.But you really don't want sedation, as she needs to be alert to brace herself on the bumps and turns that will happen during the trip.If it is a long trip, then short trips in the carrier to build up to longer trips. I am guessing her only exposure to the carrier is trips to the vet, so she associates the carrier with unpleasantness.

• Ask your vet about Zylkène, which is a natural product and can be given in meals or drinks for a day or so before you move.http://www.zylkene.co.uk/whatiszylkene.aspLine the interior of her carrier with her bedding or an unwashed item of your clothing because the familiar scent will help comfort and reassure her. This article has lots of advice you might find helpful.http://www.vetbase.co.uk/information/a-new-home-or-moving-house-with-your-cat.php

• At specialty pet stores you can get natural pheromones that are relaxing to cats. I have them in wipe form and you just wipe all over the inside of their crate and it helps them feel safe enough to fall asleep. There is also the option of getting a pill sedative that is kind of like a sleeping pill and you can get that from your vet.

• Don't tranquilize your cat! It's unnecessary, an overreaction and dangerous. If sedated, she could be seriously hurt in the carrier by falling over, hitting the sides or injuring her face/mouth on the cage door.Any cat not accustomed to travel will panic in the first 10-20 minutes of riding in a car. But just wait it out, put up with the banshee-type wailing for a bit and give her plenty of reassurance. She'll tire herself out and will settle down eventually. Try to get her to use the litter box first and don't feed her anything within 4 hours of departure. It's best to position the carrier where she can see you and if possible, place it where you can touch her through the cage front. Keep talking to her and when you can safely, put your fingers thru the bars for a comforting touch. Don't play loud music during the trip and avoid anything that might add to her stress... windows up to make the car as quiet as possible.It might be nerve-wracking at first, but she *needs* to tolerate riding inside the carrier quietly anyway, so use this opportunity to start training her for it.