How contagious are Upper Respiratory Infections between different rodent species?

My brother brought home 2 Guinea Pigs yesterday who both seem to have an upper respiratory infections. I have 2 chinchillas and i'm worried about them catching it. They aren't in the same room, but I have tried to pet the guinea pigs (they're rather shy,…

How contagious are Upper Respiratory Infections between different rodent species?

My brother brought home 2 Guinea Pigs yesterday who both seem to have an upper respiratory infections. I have 2 chinchillas and i'm worried about them catching it. They aren't in the same room, but I have tried to pet the guinea pigs (they're rather shy,…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How contagious are Upper Respiratory Infections between different rodent species?...

• How contagious are Upper Respiratory Infections between different rodent species?

How contagious are Upper Respiratory Infections between different rodent species? Other Pet Discussions
      My brother brought home 2 Guinea Pigs yesterday who both seem to have an upper respiratory infections. I have 2 chinchillas and i'm worried about them catching it. They aren't in the same room, but I have tried to pet the guinea pigs (they're rather shy, so I really haven't touched them too much, just been around them), and then later pet my chins. Should I be worried about them catching anything?

How contagious are Upper Respiratory Infections between different rodent species? Other Pet Discussions
    • URI's can be quite contagious. Make sure your Chins are in another room, away from the guinea pigs. If the Guinea pigs URI's dont clear up within a week or so I'd take them to the Doctor and get them on Baytril or something.