Does anyone have any suggestions on how to befriend a pet chinchila?

I hold him everyday, and he always gives me a hard time when I go to pick him up. He doesn't want to be around people, always trys to get away.

I hold him everyday, and he always gives me a hard time when I go to pick him up. He doesn't want to be around people, always trys to get away....
    Other Pet Discussions : Does anyone have any suggestions on how to befriend a pet chinchila?...

• Does anyone have any suggestions on how to befriend a pet chinchila?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to befriend a pet chinchila? Other Pet Discussions
      I hold him everyday, and he always gives me a hard time when I go to pick him up. He doesn't want to be around people, always trys to get away.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to befriend a pet chinchila? Other Pet Discussions
    • Have you done anything *really* special for him? Chinchilas like to be wooed. Take your chinch to a nice restaurant, or have flowers delivered. A little Marvin Gaye might heat things up for you, too.

• Chinchillas, like any small animal (hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, etc) are naturally skittish around people. It's perfectly normal for these types of animals to run away from you, no matter how long you've had them. (I've learned that hamsters are a little easier because once they get used to you, they don't protest being held too much). I've worked with chincillas and they usually do run away from me, but once I catch them, they are fine and like to be held. I have my own guinea pig who I love more than life itself. I take him out alot and he loves being held. I've had him for almost a year but he still runs away from me all the time when I go to take him out. Over time, your chinchilla may stop putting up a fight, or he may not. Just because he runs away, that doesn't mean that he doesn't love you! It's just his nature.