How can I get my gerbils to use the exercise wheel?

No matter how long I leave the wheel in there, I never see them use it. Also, because it is plastic, they always nibble on it. Thanks for any help.

No matter how long I leave the wheel in there, I never see them use it. Also, because it is plastic, they always nibble on it. Thanks for any help....
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get my gerbils to use the exercise wheel?...

• How can I get my gerbils to use the exercise wheel?

How can I get my gerbils to use the exercise wheel? Other Pet Discussions
      No matter how long I leave the wheel in there, I never see them use it. Also, because it is plastic, they always nibble on it. Thanks for any help.

How can I get my gerbils to use the exercise wheel? Other Pet Discussions
    • Gerbils are brave little creatures, they don't care if you torture them, but if you threaten their loved ones, they will do whatever you ask--even use the exercise wheel.

• Give them a Mirror so they see how fat they getting and maybe they will want to exercise then. I always used a Metal Wheel, not sure if that would matter. They do make a Clear Plastic Ball with air vents and you put one in it and they can run around the house. It may interest them more. They can take turns or by them each one.

• you shoudl get a metal wire one for them. and leave it in all thet time... some animals will only go in when nobody is around. just give it a try ... try to leave it in and listen if the wheel is squeaking (metal wheels squeak) loll then youll know... just leave it in 24/7nd the metal ones are good bc theykll chew on them ... all rodents chew on all wheels..but the metal wont really get gross

• Just keep putting them or some food on there and they will figure it out. Otherwise they will figure it out on their own. It's funny because one will probably make it a nest first, and then the second one will come along and send him spinning.