What age to start sign language with deaf puppy?

Thanks Erica I look forward to seeing those videos.I am fostering a deaf puppy and want to start teaching her sign language while she is with me but I cant find any site that will tell me what age to start teaching her sign language. She is 6 weeks now.

Thanks Erica I look forward to seeing those videos.I am fostering a deaf puppy and want to start teaching her sign language while she is with me but I cant find any site that will tell me what age to start teaching her sign language. She is 6 weeks now....
    Other Pet Discussions : What age to start sign language with deaf puppy?...

• What age to start sign language with deaf puppy?

What age to start sign language with deaf puppy? Other Pet Discussions
      Thanks Erica I look forward to seeing those videos.I am fostering a deaf puppy and want to start teaching her sign language while she is with me but I cant find any site that will tell me what age to start teaching her sign language. She is 6 weeks now.

What age to start sign language with deaf puppy? Other Pet Discussions
    • Immediately! Although 6 weeks is rather early for her to understand, it can help you practice and get her a little used to the idea of hand signals meaning something.I've been dog-walking for a deaf cattle dog for years now, and it is amazing how much they can learn through sign.

• You can start now. Just make sure to keep things positive. Lots of toys, treats, play, and praise make a pup want to keep learning. There are some good videos showing pups learning hand signs at only 3 weeks old (they're training service dogs). I'll try to find them for you. Maybe they'll give you some ideas on what works well.http://www.puppyprodigies.org/VideoClips.htm Here it is. There are links to clips and you can also purchase the entire video if you want to. Keep in mind that you can still use the verbal praise. The puppy can't hear you but it will notice the happy expression on your face and know it is doing right. Our facial expressions have a big impact on our dogs. An "angry" look can show them they've done wrong and a "laughing" face can show them we're happy and want to play. You'll probably notice your own pup reacting to your facial expressions soon.

• start now, while teaching sign language make sure her puppy food is fortified with DHA, Usually Purina ONE puppy has it. It helps with brain development and it makes learning easier. Just remember short training sessions work best. Just do them often and make them positive for the puppy. Good Luck!