How can I get my dog to settle himself down?

My dog is and Austrailian Shepherd, and is about 3 years old. He never settles down and is ALWAYS wanting to play. I don't have a lot of time to play with him as much as he wants me to, but I still play with him a lot. What should I do?

My dog is and Austrailian Shepherd, and is about 3 years old. He never settles down and is ALWAYS wanting to play. I don't have a lot of time to play with him as much as he wants me to, but I still play with him a lot. What should I do?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get my dog to settle himself down?...

• How can I get my dog to settle himself down?

How can I get my dog to settle himself down? Other Pet Discussions
      My dog is and Austrailian Shepherd, and is about 3 years old. He never settles down and is ALWAYS wanting to play. I don't have a lot of time to play with him as much as he wants me to, but I still play with him a lot. What should I do?

How can I get my dog to settle himself down? Other Pet Discussions
    • You can try getting some toys for him that don't require you to join in that way he has something to do while it's not a time when you can play. If he hasn't been neutered sometimes that can cause a male dog to be more energetic. Try talking to the Vet, they may have some suggestions on ways to calm the dog down or ways to keep him occupied without your assistance.

• He is a working breed of dog and needs a lot of stimulation, exercise. Try taking him to some agility classes, and spend time throwing a frisbee, and walking with him. Dogs need a lot of attention.

• sadly it sounds like wrong owner and wrong dog.. you see.. a australian shepherd is simular to a border collie and they never tire they are working dogs and dont seem to want to settle until their about ten yrs old.. if you truly think your not giving him what he deserves let him go to afarm as a working sheepdog you can still see him people say not too but ive had dogs that ive rescued and rehomed and they see me as a friend .. lifelong one..you have to remember hes your best mate and you want no matter your emotional feelings the best for him.if you think that may be three nights a week you could do agility classes with the dog this may help to even it out abit for you as in these classes they have to work relly hard.. you may enjoy it..good lucklove cody..

• Australian Shepherd's are bread to be working dogs, they are accustomed to running ALL day long, it's in their blood lines. The only way for him to be calm and happy is to be worked or ran. Then they aren't jumpy or nitty as I call it. I hope you have an area where he can run really hard, like a fenced in large yard, its the exercise and stimulation that will make him happy. Playing isn't what will do the trick, it helps because as a really loyal breed he will be happy to be with you but he needs to run, and run, and run! Hope this has helped I had a cattle dogs for 8 years and loved her dearly with all my heart, and she was exactly the same, as soon I knew what she needed she slept and ate better and was so much happier. Good luck let me know how it goes:)

• You have a big dog that needs lots of exercise.With whatever time you do have available you should do an activity that gives him the most exercise to run and play.Have you tried 10 minutes of Frisbee? How about teach him to run and get the ball and bring it back to ya? A dog needs exercise and lives to please you. Give him some of your undevided attention and praise.Do it at a regular time every day for a routine.Dogs like routines and catch on quickly.That way when it is time to quit he will get it soon enough. If you can't do either of those things then you need a regular time you can go on walks together. If you can't do that much for your dog then maybe he would be better suited for someone who can. Make sure you have plenty of different toys as that gives them something to do.A chew bone once in awhile for a treat is nice and gives them hours of pleasure.

• that's the nature of the breed they are very smart and meant to work,they need to be doing something most of the time that's why they do so very well with herding,agility,obedience some people also use them as therapy dogs visiting nursing homes or children's hospitals.

• Walk him, Walk him, Walk him. Your shep has tons of natural energy. Since he cant herd sheep you need to keep him busy.Put a pack on his back with some water bottles in it to make his job a little tougher when you walk him. He has to work.