What is the best resource for housebreaking puppies?

I have read and watched a lot of programs and they seem to indicate that you need to confine puppies in a small area and watch them intently so that when they begin to potty, you can stop them and move them to the appropriate area. With my 2 pups, once…

I have read and watched a lot of programs and they seem to indicate that you need to confine puppies in a small area and watch them intently so that when they begin to potty, you can stop them and move them to the appropriate area. With my 2 pups, once…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best resource for housebreaking puppies?...

• What is the best resource for housebreaking puppies?

What is the best resource for housebreaking puppies? Other Pet Discussions
      I have read and watched a lot of programs and they seem to indicate that you need to confine puppies in a small area and watch them intently so that when they begin to potty, you can stop them and move them to the appropriate area. With my 2 pups, once they squat, the process is not easily reverseable and as I move them to the appropriate area, they are tinkling or dropping terds the whole way. They are just over 10 weeks old. Help!!!

What is the best resource for housebreaking puppies? Other Pet Discussions
    • Wal Mart sells some pads that you place on the floor where you want them to go potty. They have a scent that attracts the puppies to use the potty there. You move the pads closer to the door until they are finally going out side.

• Oh my good man, patience. Yes everything you said is correct but you must also raise your voice when they begin to do it. Dont yell but raise your voice and say the exact same thing everytime, like "don't" for example. They will get used to that word. Also you can stop them before they even begin to go. Once they start sniffing the ground walking in a circular pattern they are ready. So get them before they even start which will eliminate the tinkling and tiny terd on the carpet. Puppies are smarter then we think.

• You were fool enough to get *2* at the same time? W/out knowing anything? Poor things... *YOU* have to learn to spot em BEFORE they start. tsk,tsk... Timing is everything. Also learn when they will naturally need to eliminate-as soon as they wake up,after meals,during play...

• Don't wait until they squat!!! Take them outside about every two hours. They don't want to foul their sleep/play area so they will wait for "recess". Baby gates are great to make their inside area a little bigger at a time. I like to encourage my pup to play outside as much as possible and sleep inside so now that he's a little older he thinks of outside as potty place and inside as the sleeping place. Good Luck and remember at this age they are almost like a human toddler, they are teething on everything!!!

• i have a 6month old puppy that i have had since he was 6 weeks old.... what we do with him is take him out about every 45 Min's .... if he does potty on the floor we show him and take him outside .... if you stay constant on this they will start getting that its wrong to potty in house and are to do it outside.... there are signs that they have to potty they will sniff around looking for a spot to potty... you don't have to watch them 24/7 just make sure to keep taking them out on regular basis.....puppy's bladders are not full developed till about 1yr of age

• I have personally found that a crate will help things along better then a confined space. When you have the crate, it trains them to have a space all their own that they don't dont want to mess up. As they get older, it becomes a safe spot. Just make sure that whenever you take them out and before you put them back, you make sure that they go outside.Also, leave them out with you. Just make sure that you take them out often and praise them for doing things in the right spot. Dogs are animals that are always wanting to please their humans. If you praise them for what they did right, they will do it more often.

• 10 weeks is still pretty young to expect perfection in this area. We used the crate with our last dog and he is by far the best housebroken pupster we've ever had. He's 4 and still loves the crate. You might want to carry your puppies once you take them out of the crate so they don't have the chance to squat before you get them outside. You might also be waiting too long to take them outside.

• Be consistant. Don't Give up. There is a new product on the market called Second Nature Dog Litter. I have a 3 month old Yorkie He still has problems sometimes so there is no quick fix you just have to be patient and stick with it.

• I find puppies are like toddlers, you can show them a thousand times, then one day it just happens, A combination of patience ,persistence,commonsense, a tone of advice from other puppy owners, and what works best for you and your puppy. Sorry I havn't been much help All the best with housetraining your dear little puppies, remember to love them heaps. A dog is one of the best friends you will ever have

• Don't wait until they start going potty! Put them on a schedule where you take them out BEFORE they start going. Puppies, like human babies, cannot hold their bladders for too long. They also metabolize food fairly quickly so they may need to go as much as 6 to 8 times a day. Dogs also develop preferences for the surfaces and smells of where they continue to go to the bathroom so YOU pick the spot, not them. Here's a recommended routine: Take them outside right after they wake - in the morning, or after a nap; 15 to 30 minutes after they eat; then every 2 - 4 hours after that. As the puppy ages they can hold it longer. Dogs need to move around to stimulate elimination, so give them time to walk around, sniff, etc. Could be as long as 15 - 20 minutes before they go, but often times sooner. DON'T PLAY WITH THEM UNTIL AFTER THEY GO POTTY. Encourage them with words. Say something like "go potty", "do your thing", whatever you want, but don't be stern, be encouraging. If they think everytime they go out it's just to play they may not get the message. PRAISE THE PUPPY IMMEDIATELY AFTER THEY GO POTTY OUTSIDE. You could even give them a little treat, but it must be immediately after going, before they start playing, etc. so they relate it to going potty outside. Inside - continue to keep track of where they are so if you see them sniffing about or beginning to squat you can take them out if needed. At night, keep them in a crate near where you sleep. They don't want to soil their bed and will whine to get out of the crate. If you leave them too long though, they'll have an accident. They can't help it. Housebreaking a puppy is WORK. But if you've committed yourself to own a puppy, that's all part of the responsibility. Be consistent, do it right, and you'll be through it quicker than you think! Good luck.

• I have 2 6 mo. old puppies that we aquired at 6 weeks. Can't stress the following points enough! They really pay off, but it does take a little time...10 weeks is still very young :)Positive reinforcement...praise what they do right...ignore what they do wrong, but NEVER strike or yell loudly at them...you will imprint fear and anxiety if you do.Patience, patience, patience. They are just "babies" and they are surrounded by things to learn...like the meaning of your words, what is expected of them etc. They WANT to please you...but you must allow them time to learn how.Eventually, and usually all of a sudden, you will begin to see real progress! Good luck!

• Most dogs give off signs. They will sniff a spot and circle. You can watch for tell-tale behavior like that, and immediatly scoop up your dog and take her outside to "do the deed". Each time you go outside, take her to the same spot and use a code word like, "Go potty!" when you want her to us the bathroom. Gently pet her and praise her in a normal tone when she goes outide.I hope this helps you. I was so unsure when I got my dog...I read all the books and watched all the DVDs and bought all the best products. I can't imagine when I have kids!When she does use the bathroom where you don't want her to, don't rub her nose in it or anything else like that. Rubbing her nose in poop can cause infections, especially if she has tapeworms or something like that. Just wipe up the spot and make sure (this is very important!) that you use a pet spot cleaner. You can buy the best stuff on the market at PetSmart or SuperPetz. A less effective brand (but it still works) is available at Wal-Mart. If you only wiped up the spot, your dog will go back to that spot and smell her "target", and decide that's where she's supposed to go next time. The cleaner removes all the doggy scent from your floors and furniture, so the puppy can't smell it, and therefore, it isn't a choice potty spot.If you must leave your dog alone during the day, you may want to crate train or paper train your dog, at least for a little while. They're both extremely effective until your dog is housetrained.Also, you could put your dog on a schedule to housetrain her. When I first got my Rotti-Shepard pup, I would take him out every 20 minutes. Most of the time, he wouldn't do anything, but it wasn't the point. It got him used to the idea that outside was where that happened. You also may need to get up during the night and take her out. My dog is 6 months old and now goes outside every two hours during the day and every four hours at night. He is housetrained, though, so I can tell you that this works.A puppy will need to relieve herself after playing, eating, sleeping or napping, or any other activity that takes her mind away from the task at hand. I would take my puppy out right after eating, drinking water, playing, sleeping, or just lying around. As soon as he would move, we would go outside. Limiting your dog's water intake is also a possibility. It may just be that she is drinking too much water and her body can't use it all. Dogs should be provided fresh water with every meal, after playtime and sleeping, except at night. That wouldn't be a good idea. Your dog will not die of thirst or anything like that, if done correctly.