How difficult is it to use the needle to inject insulin in a cat?

My cat has been diagnosed with diabetes. How difficult is it to use the needle to inject the insulin? Even the sight of a needle makes me queasy.

My cat has been diagnosed with diabetes. How difficult is it to use the needle to inject the insulin? Even the sight of a needle makes me queasy....
    Other Pet Discussions : How difficult is it to use the needle to inject insulin in a cat?...

• How difficult is it to use the needle to inject insulin in a cat?

How difficult is it to use the needle to inject insulin in a cat? Other Pet Discussions
      My cat has been diagnosed with diabetes. How difficult is it to use the needle to inject the insulin? Even the sight of a needle makes me queasy.

How difficult is it to use the needle to inject insulin in a cat? Other Pet Discussions
    • It really depends on your attitude and the cats temperament. I could give my cat a bath because she completely trusts me with what ever I do to her. What you have to do is talk to her, hold her, reassure her, and then just do what you must for the cat. Your feelings are irrelevant because if you do not give your cat what she needs she will die. You wouldn't deny her food if she was hungry or water if she was thirsty So why would you deny her the shot that will make her feel better?

• This is not hard-the insulin needle is very thin and short. I've given many a shot to my mom's kitty, and I give my own cats (5!) their vaccinations. Your calm, confident attitude will influence your cat. The vet should have a form(like skin over flesh) that you can practice technique on until you feel more comfortable. This shot does not hurt-all you have to fear is fear itself. Good luck.

• Totally easy. My cat does not even know I do it! Have your vet practice with you. They will have you use saline solution not insulin. Most important things to remember is never shake the insulin, Make sure you tent your cats neck, not pinch and feel around for blood vessels. Again, it is easy I say. The needle is so small too! I feed my cat chicken soup baby food while I do it. It is safe for his diabetes and he thinks it is treat time. Also go to yahoo and type in feline diabetes. A bunch of info will come up to help you. Make sure you demand your vet help you learn. If you hit a blood vessel it could be bad. Also, in these stages of finding the right dose with curves and etc make sure you have maple/pancake syrup in the house. Some cats can expereince sugar levels that send them into hypoglacemia (sp) Good luck. Let me know if you need support

• My cat Katie had diabetes for 12 years. She needed insulin injections daily; at one point we were up to 3 injections a day.You cannot take your cat to the vet that often. You can do this; it is not difficult. The needles are very tiny and sharp, and only need to go under the skin - not deep into a muscle.Have your vet show you how to do it. Be calm and talk to your cat in a soothing voice. Make the injection(s) part of giving him/her loving attention. Give a treat afterwards - just one small piece of whatever treat is her favorite. If you screw up a couple of times, your cat will forgive you as long as you don't go to pieces. Even with Katie I would occasionally pierce her skin all the way through and the insulin would shoot out the other side. But it didn't happen very often.It's up to you how your kittie responds to this. If you stay calm, gentle and loving, he or she may even look forward to the attention. My Katie did: when she saw me getting things ready, she would come up, rub my legs, then lie down on her side.Two tips: Alternate the sides where you give the injections; and it helps if you keep the areas shaved, or at least clipped short.You love your cat, don't you? You can do this; I know you can. I wish you all the best.

• can you get someone else to give it to your cat if you can't handle the sight of a needle. you can try working on getting up your nerve to be able to give it

• If you remain calm about it and learn how to do it, it's not difficult. Just make sure to have some kind of treat for your cat afterwards. Your cat will never like the shots, but she will come to associate them with feeling better and with the treats. My parents used to have a diabetic cat, and when it was time for her shots she would go sit by the refridgerator door.

• Insulin needles are pretty easy to use, and the cat will get used to it in a relatively short time. The hardest part is making sure you've drawn up the right amount, what with those tiny numbers and trying to keep air bubbles out.Have your vet show you how to give injections. Consider practicing on fruits and vegetables; it may sound silly but that's how a lot of medical people learn to use needles. One you get the hang of it, there's not much to it.

• It's really very EASY!!!! the needles are very small and most cats don't require that much insulin, so it's very quick. Just pinch the skin where the injection goes ( ask your vet, there may be several places) pop it in and push the plunger. You'll get used to it.

• My 15 year old cat has been on insulin for awhile now and he doesn't give me any trouble at all. I just grab some of his skin together and give the insulin and then I rub it where the needle went and he is totally fine with it. Or I've given it to him in his belly while he stands on his back legs and that is just as easy. Good luck.

• GET A DART GUN POP ITS DONE....JUST KIDDING PAY THE WOMAN NEXT DOOR TO DO IT. CHICKENS WAY OUT BUT IT WILL WORK. I ENJOY GIVING MY MOTHER IN LAW HER SHOT 4 TIMES A WEEK I LIKE THE WAY SHE JUMPS AND THE FACES SHE MAKES.THE SMALL PLEASURES OF LIFE!!!

• Its easy and doesn't hurt the cat.Pull skin up lightly stick and squirtVet will instruct on how to determine how much to giveSide note:Don't be too alarmed if he goes into shock,Just put some sugar or syrup in mouth. Keep Karo syrup around in case he gets too much insulin, keep a watch on him for about 5 hours after shot for the first weekYou'll take urine samples to determine how much ins. to give, after a while you'll see how much is just right without going into shockIve been through it, my guy went two years like that.Good luck, Bob

• You being needle shy isnt helpful for a diabetic cat who will need insulin shots daily. Giving a insulin shot is very simple. You will be nervous the first few times you do this but with time and patience you will learn to endure this. I remember when I was in school and I had to learn to give animals shots at first I was a little freaked out and even second guessed my choice of career. But now I can give a shot with no problem. I too was a little nervous of needles and was even a little afraid that I would hurt the poor animals. I would seriously talk to the vet and tell them your fears and concerns. The vet normally will be very helpful and patient and will teach you how to do this. It really is like 1,2,3 go and then your all done. It isnt too hard. But that is only after you know how to do it. Not only will you learning how to give the shot benefit you but you will also be bonding with your cat who is really relying on these insulin shots to keep her alive. Good Luck!

• Cats are diagnosed to have those kind of diseases???... the world is turning upside down!! First of all, if the needle makes you queasy, then all the more to the cat. Make sure it's got vaccinated with anti-rabies first before you attempt to inject it with any of your drugs because it will definitely scratch you, even bite you! And my advise would actually be not to bother injecting your cat with anything, let nature takes its course. If it dies, it dies, just love him the whole time he's with you. It's not even practical giving shots of insulin to cats, insulin is expensive. Now if you have lots of money, instead of buying insulin for your cat, why don't you just donate it to charity organizations who help real human beings who have diabetes but are too poor to afford a DAILY shot of insulin. Diabetes is a lifetime disease, so it is also a lifetime financial burden. Why spend insulin for a cat??? I'm even wondering if this is a real, relevant question. Now if you're only doing some kind of experiment, drop it coz that's just plain animal cruelty. :s