How do you administer a rabies shot to a cat?

I bought the vaccine. I have done dogs before but not cats.I have to do 4 cats. I cant afford a vet visit and would have to drive 50 miles to go to a vet. We live in a rural area and dont really need to worry about them biting someone. I am worried about…

I bought the vaccine. I have done dogs before but not cats.I have to do 4 cats. I cant afford a vet visit and would have to drive 50 miles to go to a vet. We live in a rural area and dont really need to worry about them biting someone. I am worried about…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you administer a rabies shot to a cat?...

• How do you administer a rabies shot to a cat?

How do you administer a rabies shot to a cat? Other Pet Discussions
      I bought the vaccine. I have done dogs before but not cats.I have to do 4 cats. I cant afford a vet visit and would have to drive 50 miles to go to a vet. We live in a rural area and dont really need to worry about them biting someone. I am worried about them catching rabies from the jack rabbits that they constantly kill. A vet is not an option.

How do you administer a rabies shot to a cat? Other Pet Discussions
    • Give it under the skin on the Right shoulder. (Right for Rabies.)The reason for the right shoulder is that there is concern that some cat vaccinations cause cancer. Whether that is the case is unknown at this point. Giving Rabies on the Right, Leukemia on the Left (and I forget the others) will reveal whether a cancer is caused by a vaccine, and if it is, which one.Giving a shot to a cat can be traumatic for both parties. I recommend wrapping the cat in a towel, the "cat burrito maneuver," even if your cat is normally mild mannered.

• Definitely take it to a vet to get it done. If you don't work in the field and don't know what lies under the skin you shouldn't go poking around in there. Anyways, rabies should be given on the right hind leg, if given on the right shoulder and cancer does occur due to vaccine (which is rare) it is much more difficult to remove than on the back leg, which you can easily amputate. But please-do not give the vaccine yourself, spend $15 and get it done by a professional, you could probably go in and have a vet tech do it real quick so its on your cats record. If you miss and inject in the fur the cat is left unvaccinated, or you may poke something you shouldn't, get scratched up and if the cat ever bit someone you might have trouble proving that he was vaccinated for rabies if not done under the supervision of a veterinarian, this could cause quarentine, fines, etc. Remember any cat has the capability to bite, even nice ones under certain circumstances.

• A vet has to do it then you will get a license for it.In Maryland we have free or low cost programs you need to call your animal control and they will be able to help you get the shots.Good luck.