Where can I find out what breed my dog is?

I don't want to take her to a vet or anything, but I think that my dog is a mixed breed and I would like to find out what she is. She is very short, abour a food and a half tall, round, pointy ears and very silky, straight black fur. Do you know what…

I don't want to take her to a vet or anything, but I think that my dog is a mixed breed and I would like to find out what she is. She is very short, abour a food and a half tall, round, pointy ears and very silky, straight black fur. Do you know what…...
    Other Pet Discussions : Where can I find out what breed my dog is?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Where can I find out what breed my dog is?

Where can I find out what breed my dog is? Other Pet Discussions
      I don't want to take her to a vet or anything, but I think that my dog is a mixed breed and I would like to find out what she is. She is very short, abour a food and a half tall, round, pointy ears and very silky, straight black fur. Do you know what breeds she is, or where I can find out?

Where can I find out what breed my dog is? Other Pet Discussions
    • I don't think a vet would even be able to tell you for sure. Short dogs are Dachshunds and Corgis, and Corgis have pointy ears. Go to dogbreedinfo.com and compare pics. Good luck to you and your pooch.

• I would take your pet to the vet. But if he is a mutt it may be hard to tell. there are some good tell tale signs on what kind of breed your dog is. Chows that don't look like aChow may have a black tounge for example.

• I can understand why you would want to know your dogs breed, but you may never know for certain. Some vets can give you an idea, but remember their training is in madical issues, not breeds, and they are usually not that great at guessing breeds. Shelter workers tend to be a little better at identifing a dogs breed. They tend to know what breeds are common in the area, and some breed traits. If you have a local kennel club, they can help you, but these people tend to overguess sometimes. Posting pics on dogs sites can be informative, too. (www.dogchannel.com)If the dog has short legs it could be a Corgi(that is what I thought reading your post, too) Of course you could make up your own name for your dogs "breed". I've done that, and it is always funny to tell people "He's a Transalvania Wolf'n'hound" Espeically if they then say, "Oh, I've heard of that breed!" Good Luck!

• no idea here sinc i havn't seen your dog. what you are describing could be any number of combinations. I would reccomend going to your local library and finding a breed book or looking on AKC.com or UKC.com. they are the two big dog affiliates and will be able to show you many different pictures of different breeds as well as breed standards. good Luck!

• Look up dog breeds and go through pictures until you find similarities. Read about different temperaments and compare them to your dog. Watch the AKC Dog Show Competitions!