How do I potty train an adult dog from the local shelter?

I'm about to adopt a dog from the local animal shelter and in the application I am to specify the methood of house-training. I need help with ideas on this.

I'm about to adopt a dog from the local animal shelter and in the application I am to specify the methood of house-training. I need help with ideas on this....
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I potty train an adult dog from the local shelter?...

• How do I potty train an adult dog from the local shelter?

How do I potty train an adult dog from the local shelter? Other Pet Discussions
      I'm about to adopt a dog from the local animal shelter and in the application I am to specify the methood of house-training. I need help with ideas on this.

How do I potty train an adult dog from the local shelter? Other Pet Discussions
    • Dogs don't like to urinate where they sleep. This is why people often choose to "crate" their dogs at night so they know the dog won't be using the bathroom in the crate. Then, first thing in the morning, let them out and really praise them for going potty right away outside. Continue to do this until the dog understands that OUTSIDE is where you want them to go for these things.

• The most common way I know of is when they make a mess, you take them to the mess and make them smell and see it, then say NO in a firm voice (some people also smack them to help teach the dog its wrong, as long as its not to hard, they get over it) then take them outside and let them stay outside for at least 5 minutes. They will eventually learn that they need to go outside.

• Congratulations! I wish the best for you and your new friend. Crate training is probably the best method for a pound pup, but there are several different approaches. Do a 'google search' and look up the key words,"Crate Training" There will be ooodles of info online. Study them and Choose the one that best fits your lifestyle.

• Lots of Positive re-enforcement. Take him or her outside, bring some treats with you and when they pee give them a treat and love. When they drop the bomb, same things treats and lots of love. Also if they begin to mark their territory in the house DO NOT yell ar scream at the dog. open the fron door and get them out asap. When they go outside...treat em. Oh yeah, if you must yell at your pet do not use their name when you yell. Just things like bad doggie. Use their name with positive re-enforcement. And when you are loving them, this helps build up confidence in the animal and a sense of security. And they will be house broken before you know it. Try this with other things like sit, lay down. I have my Rottweiller traind on 11 hand commands using this method and house broke him as a pup doing this. yes 11 hand commands, i do not even have to speak. He is trained for Sit, stay, down, come, stop, bed time, stop and lay down, settle, drop, leave it, up. And he also takes treats out of my mouth the size of yourpinks finger nail. Oh yeah one more word of advise....LOVE HIM TO DEATH.

• The pet stores sell scents you can put outside where you want the dog to go. They also sell training pads so if you crate the dog, and they pee on it, you can put it outside where you want them to go. Remember, dogs think by their stomaches. So giving treats and praise are very effective.

• I think crate training works great. Just leave the dog in the crate when you can't watch him carefully, then take him outside as soon as you let him out. Wait until he does his business, then praise him and bring him back inside. If you see the dog acting like he needs to go when you have him in the house, take him outside until he goes then praise him.

• well what i think you should do is buy a book specifically on training, before you get it, because there are going to be other things you have to train them on too.good luck and remember they are YOUR responsiblity and they look at you,the owner,as safety