Is there any way to discourage a kitten from chewing on houseplants?

We've moved the plants from the windowsill to hanging from the ceiling away from things she can climb and shortened the hangars. Now she jumps from the floor onto the plants! We can't get them any higher than they are. Any ideas? We're stumped.

We've moved the plants from the windowsill to hanging from the ceiling away from things she can climb and shortened the hangars. Now she jumps from the floor onto the plants! We can't get them any higher than they are. Any ideas? We're stumped....
    Other Pet Discussions : Is there any way to discourage a kitten from chewing on houseplants?...

• Is there any way to discourage a kitten from chewing on houseplants?

Is there any way to discourage a kitten from chewing on houseplants? Other Pet Discussions
      We've moved the plants from the windowsill to hanging from the ceiling away from things she can climb and shortened the hangars. Now she jumps from the floor onto the plants! We can't get them any higher than they are. Any ideas? We're stumped.

Is there any way to discourage a kitten from chewing on houseplants? Other Pet Discussions
    • Well, you asked if there's a way to prevent a kitten from *chewing* on houseplants. There's something you can buy called Bitter Apple Spray, usually marketed for dogs, but it works for cats as well, I'm sure. I don't think it would harm your plants. It's just a spray that tastes bitter and prevents pets from licking/chewing on certain things in your house that you spray. As for the jumping, I don't know what to tell you.

• orange peel cats cant atand it they hate it but they love cat nip so make sure you keep that at bay,but oranfe peel they hate also orange peel isnt chemicals and it wont harm your plants.spraying a cat with water is stupid i dnt agree

• I trained my cat from doing all sorts of things by putting water in a spray bottle. Every time he would do something that I didn't want him to do I would spray him with the water. It worked extremely well. Eventually when they see the spray bottle, they know they are doing something wrong and stop before you even have to spray them.

• I've always heard that if you plant chili peppers, garlic, onions, etc., that the pets will avoid the areas because of the scent. Use caution as some of these plants are poisonous. My girl won't go any where near them, she says "Eeeeewwwe!".

• You can buy a spray on stuff called Bitter Apple and it is terrible tasting. Also our vet has a spray on stuff that is better than bitter apple and stopped our cats from chewing on the plants. There are a awful lot of plants that can make your cat very sick or kill it, so it is best if you can stop them. It is a natural thing for them to want to chew on grasses. You can buy a grass that is safe for them to chew on at the wear-house stores (Petsmart or Petco) but you can grow the same thing yourself at home. Use regular dirt, not potting soil with fertilizer as that will get into the grass and make them sick, put the dirt in plant pot, and plant oat seeds just under the top of the soil (not real deep), water and it will grow into a safe thing for them to eat and chew. Also helps their need for that kind of thing.

• Usually cats will eat plants to trigger the induce vomiting. Your kitty may not feel well. If the little scamp is habitually munching your plants, try one part water with one part vinegar sprayed on the leaves. Cats don't like the smell of vinegar - it oversensitizes thier olfactory glands.

• Bitter lime spray. I used to own a ferret, and I had this stuff called bitter lime spray which was meant to be put on your fingers to discourage your ferret from biting when you hold it. I imagine this would have the same effect on a cat, and I doubt it would hurt the plant. If you're cat is jumping on things or if he/she likes getting into things, try this: Get a couple mousetraps and some small brown paper bags (like lunchbags). Set the trap inside the bag and carefully close it up with tape or staples (so your cat doesn't get injured). Place that bag whever you don't want your cat to go. When he/she disturbs the bag, the trap will go off and scare the daylights out of the cat. After a few times, the cat will have little desire to investigate the area again.

• Use a spray bottle, everytime you see her near the plant, just give her a little spray, even sit the spray bottle somewhere near the plants, she will learn not to go near them when she see's that spray bottle.

• I would suggest going to your local Dominion or Loblows grocery stores. I have noticed they stock grass specifically for cats/kittens. You can grow it and keep it close at hand for them to nibble on. Hopefully this will satisfy their pallat and they won't go after your other plants, which, incidentally can be poisonous for your pet.Hope this helps you out.