Is it really necessary to spay your dog?

I have a 2 year old chihuaua and i havent had her spayed. We have no plans of mating her and there is no chance of her getting pregnant by accident. I hate to put her through it if its not neccessary. She is so small.

I have a 2 year old chihuaua and i havent had her spayed. We have no plans of mating her and there is no chance of her getting pregnant by accident. I hate to put her through it if its not neccessary. She is so small....
    General Dog Discussions : Is it really necessary to spay your dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it really necessary to spay your dog?

Is it really necessary to spay your dog? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 2 year old chihuaua and i havent had her spayed. We have no plans of mating her and there is no chance of her getting pregnant by accident. I hate to put her through it if its not neccessary. She is so small.

Is it really necessary to spay your dog? General Dog Discussions
    • yes Why You Should Spay or Neuter Your Pet What do "spay" and "neuter" really mean? Female dogs and cats are spayed by removing their reproductive organs, and male dogs and cats are neutered by removing their testicles. In both cases the operation is performed while the pet is under anesthesia. Depending on your pet's age, size, and health, he or she will stay at your veterinarian's office for a few hours or a few days. Depending upon the procedure, your pet may need stitches removed after a few days. Your veterinarian can fully explain spay and neuter procedures to you and discuss with you the best age at which to sterilize your pet.Spaying or Neutering Is Good for Your PetSpaying and neutering helps dogs and cats live longer, healthier lives. Spaying and neutering can eliminate or reduce the incidence of a number of health problems that can be very difficult or expensive to treat. Spaying eliminates the possibility of uterine or ovarian cancer and greatly reduces the incidence of breast cancer, particularly when your pet is spayed before her first estrous cycle. Neutering eliminates testicular cancer and decreases the incidence of prostate disease.Spaying or Neutering Is Good for YouSpaying and neutering makes pets better, more affectionate companions. Neutering cats makes them less likely to spray and mark territory. Spaying a dog or cat eliminates her heat cycle. Estrus lasts an average of six to 12 days, often twice a year, in dogs and an average of six to seven days, three or more times a year, in cats. Females in heat can cry incessantly, show nervous behavior, and attract unwanted male animals. Unsterilized animals often exhibit more behavior and temperament problems than do those who have been spayed or neutered. Spaying and neutering can make pets less likely to bite. Neutering makes pets less likely to roam the neighborhood, run away, or get into fights.Spaying and Neutering Are Good for the CommunityCommunities spend millions of dollars to control unwanted animals. Irresponsible breeding contributes to the problem of dog bites and attacks. Animal shelters are overburdened with surplus animals. Stray pets and homeless animals get into trash containers, defecate in public areas or on private lawns, and frighten or anger people who have no understanding of their misery or needs. http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/why_you_should_spay_or_neuter_your_pet.html

• Yes! Heats are quite annoying, no fun for you and not much fun for the dog either. Her risk of certain cancers increases without getting her spayed. You say there's no chance of her getting pregnant, but you need to be VERY careful. Male dogs are very, very clever in getting to a female and if she's out of your sight for one second she might just rush out the door looking for a mate. If she gets impregnated by a bigger dog, she will die during the birth. Even if she gets pregnant from a similar Chihuahua, most dogs of this size need a C-section that costs around $1000+. It's better if you spay her, but if you don't, be aware of the risks.

• ITS CALLED MAMMARY CANCER., PYOMETRA or infection of the uterus. Yes, please spay your dog, so you can spend many more years with her than you would if you didn't.We spay and neuter small animals everyday. Make sure you have pre-bloodwork done first, have her heart listened too, and she will be fine,. They go home the same day.FRom the desk of a VET TECH

• she does go out to do business right? I have a neighbor that has a teeny dog that got pregnant and they don't know who the father was, but it dug under the fence by the side of the house. she was several weeks along before showing, so they had NO idea... and the vet performed the spay surgery which we found out also aborts the pups. BUT her life was in danger if the father was a much bigger dog. Sad thing is, they usually go outside with her for a potty break or walk on a leash or anything... the wife or the husband. She's rarely ever left alone. the whole situation was sad. so I think u never know.... never say never.

• Spaying will actually help your dog stay healthier and live longer. Without hormones racing through her body every few months, she'll be less apt to have hormone-related illnesses and behaviors; and spaying her will protect her from several different kinds of cancer.We have a male Chi, and I was concerned about getting him altered, too, because of his tiny size, but he survived the surgery very well.

• Yes, it is necassary. In addition to preventing unwanted litters -- male dogs are very persistent when it comes to getting at female dogs in heat, so there really isn't a "no chance" when it comes to breeding, there are many health benefits. Pyometra is one. A nasty uterine infection that can prove fatal. The surgery to correct pyometra is a lot more expensive and riskier than a simple spay operation.She will be happier. I have seen dogs in heat at the shelter and they are very anxious. Breast cancer is greatly reduced.

• You should spay your dog to avoid the cancer risks and the "going in to heat" issues. As other people have mentioned, male dogs are very sensitive to unspayed females and it can leave her at great risk in any case. I know a person that works for the SPCA Humane Society and he has had to come to rescue of many small dogs that have been mistakenly mounted by much larger dogs (with horrible medical consequences). The attacks are many times male to male, but, male to female can be much worse. Do the right thing and have her spayed!

• Spaying at a young age (before first estrus cycle, or first 'heat') reduces her risk of mammary cancer later in life by about 98.9%.Even now, adult females have about a 10% chance to develop pyometra (uterine infection) after each heat. If the female has had litters, the chance jumps to about 30%. This is because the cervix is dilated, making it less secure against bacterial infection.Pyometra is EXTREMELY dangerous, and is an emergency situation. If the uterus fills with infection and forms a pyometra, the female is at risk for septic shock, or rupturing the uterus, which almost always causes her death. For these reasons it is a VERY good idea to spay your dog, even if she is not at risk of pregnancy. If you care about her wellbeing enough to be concerned about surgery, put your mind at ease by having the surgery done with her regular vet and not a discount clinic. Make sure the hospital you have it done at is concerned about her health, and use standard nursing care and sterile surgery procedures. This will cost more than the assembly line spays, but will be well worth it, and she will have the proper support.

• NO! I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I don't care. Everyone tries to scare with cancer, but 1) how great are the chances of contracting cancer and 2) by what percentage does spaying reduce a small risk to begin with?I have a male who has not been neutered yet because I think it is wrong to deprive him of the wonderful thing in life called procreation. I will eventually, but not until after he's had this chance. Aren't we lucky to be at the top of the food chain where we get to make this sort of decision? I wonder how we'd feel if there were something out there bigger than us that said "You won't be needing these later on" and snipped us the way we so benignly go around "fixing" our dogs -- who aren't broken to begin with!.