What is the best way to discipline a puppy?

I have a 6 month old Beagle. He is disobedient when it comes to doing simple commands. He knows sit and lay down, but will only do it when I have a treat in my hand. He is constantly in my face when I sit on the sofa. He begs for food when I eat at…

I have a 6 month old Beagle. He is disobedient when it comes to doing simple commands. He knows sit and lay down, but will only do it when I have a treat in my hand. He is constantly in my face when I sit on the sofa. He begs for food when I eat at…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to discipline a puppy?...

• What is the best way to discipline a puppy?

What is the best way to discipline a puppy? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a 6 month old Beagle. He is disobedient when it comes to doing simple commands. He knows sit and lay down, but will only do it when I have a treat in my hand. He is constantly in my face when I sit on the sofa. He begs for food when I eat at the dining room table. He jumps up on people contantly. I tell him "No" in a stern voice, and he stops for a moment, but starts again within a minute.I find myself getting frustrated with him, and sometimes angry with him. I want to know how to get his attention and stop the bad behavior.

What is the best way to discipline a puppy? Other Pet Discussions
    • Okay, deep breath here, the dog is not TRYING to frustrate you, it is a baby, and if it is doing things you are not happy with it is because for some reason he is of the impression that this actually is how you want him to behave.The truth is, puppy school, obedience training etc., is more for the owner then the dog. In the training you have done, you have not taught the dog to respond to comands because you asked, you taught the dog that sit means cookie.Dogs are in your face because that is normal 'dog' behavior. If in fact this is not behavior that you appreciate then you need to teach an alternative. Ignore the behavior you dislike, and reward (NOT WITH FOOD) the behavior you appreciate. How do you reward without food you may ask...well, this could be done with a clicker, a toy, or most simply by affection. When the dog does something you like you must make a fool of yourself and do the 'happy dance'. This means you get all excited, say "WHAT A GOOD SIT (or stay, or off, or shake, or.....)!" allow your voice to naturally be high pitched, eagerly place your hands on either side of his neck and ruffle him, say it several times...yep, you will feel like a goof, but believe me, it works.As for food begging, either do not allow him in the dining room (don't fool yourself, SOMEONE has let him know that if he pesters he WILL get fed...dogs are not stupid, they do not engage in behaviors that do not work), or lock him in his crate or another room while you eat.As to jumping up, again, this is normal, he wants to greet you face to face, as is polite in dog society...if this is not a behavior you appreciate, you must offer an alternative, such as sitting and offering a paw. Initially absolutely ignore his jumping, cross your arms, stand perfectly still, and turn your face away. As soon as he stops jumping and sits again with the 'happy dance'. Exclaim "WHAT A GOOD SIT (or greet, or whatever word you choose to use)!", get down on his level and make friendly contact with him using your hands to roughly caress him.Remember, none of this is 'bad behavior' it is miscomunication, and you as his guardian have let him down by not clearly communicating to him what you desire. You may find a few hours with a trainer who focuses on rewarding WITHOUT food to be the quickest and simplest way to resolve your frustrations. Remember the old saying penny wise and pound foolish...spending a bit of money now will likely save you a bundle later on, and most likely in a matter of a few weeks give you the obedient dog you desire.Good luck.