What is the best way to train a neutered cat who is used to "going" outside for bathroom to use a litter box?

I have a neutered cat about 11 months old. He is used to going outside for bathrooming when my dogs go out. He stays outside several hours a day and sleeps inside at night and off/on during the day. Now that weather is cold I would like to keep him…

What is the best way to train a neutered cat who is used to "going" outside for bathroom to use a litter box?

I have a neutered cat about 11 months old. He is used to going outside for bathrooming when my dogs go out. He stays outside several hours a day and sleeps inside at night and off/on during the day. Now that weather is cold I would like to keep him…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to train a neutered cat who is used to "going" outside for bathroom to use a litter box?...

• What is the best way to train a neutered cat who is used to "going" outside for bathroom to use a litter box?

What is the best way to train a neutered cat who is used to "going" outside for bathroom to use a litter box? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a neutered cat about 11 months old. He is used to going outside for bathrooming when my dogs go out. He stays outside several hours a day and sleeps inside at night and off/on during the day. Now that weather is cold I would like to keep him inside more but not sure how to go about training him for the litter box.

What is the best way to train a neutered cat who is used to "going" outside for bathroom to use a litter box? Other Pet Discussions
    • Set him in the litter box every hour or every few hours. If he stands by the door wanting to go out, set him in the litter box. If you catch him trying to go inside the house, set him in the litter box. Cats are pretty smart and will catch on quickly.

• Shannon offers great advice!Typically it won't take long at all to get your kitty used to the litter box. Cats bury signs of "bathroom breaks" as a matter of instinct. (It's very helpful in the wild to keep them off the radar of other animals).My cat was a stray when we got him, who know if he was litter box trained initally, but it took less than a day to get him acclimated to the box.Best of luck!

• I did this for my cat, put some dirt from outside in the litter box on top of the the cat litter (use cheap litter to not mask the dirt scent) and place it in the bathroom and the cat. Place the cat in the box and close the door and leave it in the bathroom. After it uses the box a couple of times, you can place it where you want it. Then put your cat in it and repeat doing this a couple of times during the day so the cat knows where to find it. Each time you change the box use less dirt and alittle good litter, after a couple of changings, pure litter. GOOD LUCK.