How can I get two dominant dogs to get along in the same household?

I have a 1.5 year old male dog and we are attempting to introduce a female 5 year old of the same breed. My dog has never faught with another dog before - until now! We don't understand why this is happening when we get them to meet since both dogs are…

I have a 1.5 year old male dog and we are attempting to introduce a female 5 year old of the same breed. My dog has never faught with another dog before - until now! We don't understand why this is happening when we get them to meet since both dogs are…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get two dominant dogs to get along in the same household?...

• How can I get two dominant dogs to get along in the same household?

How can I get two dominant dogs to get along in the same household? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a 1.5 year old male dog and we are attempting to introduce a female 5 year old of the same breed. My dog has never faught with another dog before - until now! We don't understand why this is happening when we get them to meet since both dogs are very tame.

How can I get two dominant dogs to get along in the same household? Other Pet Discussions
    • There was an episode of the TV show "The Dog Whisperer" that was exactly your problem. Instead of explaining how he did it on here, it would be easier for you to look into it. The host is Cesar Millan, and he has written a book that will have the answers you seek.http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780307337337

• The problem is your 1.5 year old dog has been taught that he is the top four legged animal in the pack. According to the natural pecking order older animals are higher up in the pack. The aggression is a jocking of position. This is what you do is pet or spend some time with your male, introduce the female in play or relaxing, if she goes after him isolate her from the activity for a few minutes, if he goes after her, stop the game. Dogs naturally want to please. If you act in this way, the male will have assumed the dominance over the new dog, which should be easier to get peace this way then having the older one take the higher role. Especially because it is so much older.

• what bred are they? if they're terriers, they're gonna do that. Very dominant dogs. i have three.my female is doing a good job beating the daylights out of my boys, but they annoy her just to get a rise. however, knowing what breed(s)they are would help me answer the question.