What does it mean to have your dog vetted?

I am in the process of looking to adopt a dog. In the course of looking I have run across ads sayingthis dog is fully vetted and I don't know what that means

I am in the process of looking to adopt a dog. In the course of looking I have run across ads sayingthis dog is fully vetted and I don't know what that means...
    General Dog Discussions : What does it mean to have your dog vetted?...

• What does it mean to have your dog vetted?

What does it mean to have your dog vetted? General Dog Discussions
      I am in the process of looking to adopt a dog. In the course of looking I have run across ads sayingthis dog is fully vetted and I don't know what that means

What does it mean to have your dog vetted? General Dog Discussions
    • I would assume it means the dog is has all the shots it needs for its age. But I really don't think you can assume anything. ASK. And also ask the sellers/ rehomers to provide some proof. They should show (or better yet) give you vet records so you can see what was done and when. If it is a puppy, it may be "fully vetted" and still need another set of shot in a couple of weeks. Your vet will need to know what the dog was given and when. If you are lucky, the dog will be up to date on shots and neutered. But ask for proof. You would not be the first person to have a supposedly spayed female turn up pregnant a month later. If they have no proof, assume the dog has not been vetted and see your vet immediately. Not a bad idea in any case.

• It means the dog has received all of it's shots & de-worming. But, if it highly important when adopting a dog from a rescue/shelter or a private owner, you take all paperwork with you to YOUR vet within 48 hours & have a complete physical done. Which should include temperature, listening to the heart, examining ears, eyes, mouth, inspecting the feet, coat and general hands on to determine any unusual swelling and/or lumps. Also a fecal should be done to determine if the dog has been properly de-wormed or needs a follow up.Often, rescues & shelters do what they can but with so many dogs and the vets they use are too quick in assessing, I always do a follow up with my vet.Example: Fostering for a rescue, I brought home a Chi mix which was coughing. The rescues vet said it was nothing to be concerned about and the dog was vaccinated for Kennel Cough. After one day of this & watching the animal become more lethargic, less interested in food, I got him to my vet.He had pneumonia. He could have died. So, do a follow up.