can a 10 year old male dog get fixed?

A friend gave us her 10 year old beagle (male).. We have a 6 week old lab puppy who is also a male. My friend said the beagle was not fixed, and with a new male puppy i want them both to get fixed so we wont have as many issues between them.Can you get a…

A friend gave us her 10 year old beagle (male).. We have a 6 week old lab puppy who is also a male. My friend said the beagle was not fixed, and with a new male puppy i want them both to get fixed so we wont have as many issues between them.Can you get a…...
    General Dog Discussions : can a 10 year old male dog get fixed?...

• can a 10 year old male dog get fixed?

can a 10 year old male dog get fixed? General Dog Discussions
      A friend gave us her 10 year old beagle (male).. We have a 6 week old lab puppy who is also a male. My friend said the beagle was not fixed, and with a new male puppy i want them both to get fixed so we wont have as many issues between them.Can you get a 10 year old dog fixed?

can a 10 year old male dog get fixed? General Dog Discussions
    • At any age a dog can be fixed based on if they can still produce or not.If so he can, if not the fix will not happen for the Beagle. Other then what I know I'm pretty sure you'll be able too. I recommend calling the VET and ask them what they think.

• yes you can get a 10 year old dog fixed but it may cost alot more than it will to get the younger puppy fixed. Also, they may had on money for how much the 10 year old dog weighs and his recovery may take longer but it can be done.

• As long as he is in good health I don't see any reason they would reject him from being neutered. When the human societies rescue many dogs and cats from houses and such they do rescue older dogs that they still end up neutering. The only way they wouldn't do it is if it would have a negative affect on his health.

• Yes, a 10 year old can be fixed. It'll cost extra to have bloodwork done on the older dog.I have to ask, what are you doing with a SIX week old puppy? He should still be with his mom and littermates. In most places, it's illegal to release a pup to it's new home until it's at least EIGHT weeks old. You need to take the YOUNG pup back to the unreputable BYB, pet store, or puppy mill and turn them into your local authorities for selling such a young pup.

• Well you can, provided his heart will stand a general anaesthetic. And your vet will do a full blood work up (or he should) before he attempts to anaesthetise him in any case. However, personally I'd not put this old boy through surgery now - if he's been fine up to now, why put him through the extra stress! By all means castrate your puppy (once he's over a year and you have had time to assess his temperament, allow him to mature a bit - and you do know 6 weeks is very young for a puppy to be away from his litter-mates don't you) but two males can live perfectly happily together without needing to be neutered - provided you look after them properly!!! I'm not quite sure what 'issues' you are anticipating between these two in any case? Castration is not a substitute for training and should never be looked on as anything other than preventing the siring of puppies.

• Defiantly you can get him fixed. The only issue that will come up is his age, how well will he do under the anesthesia, how will his recovery be, yadda, yadda yadda, but yes he can be fixed. I wouldn't expect him to stop the issues that people normally fix their dogs because of (such as marking or humping) because it's his mindset now, but you can fix him.

• Yes you can get a 10 year old neutered as long as he's healthy enough for surgery, and good for you for doing the right thing and being a responsible pet owner... If I could thumb up your question I would..I'll give it a star instead..Neutering both of your boys will decrease the risk of fighting. Also it will keep unwanted litters from coming into this world, just to end up sad and lonely and living or dying in shelters.

• There is NO, I mean ZERO medical reason to neuter your 10 year old dog. Unless your vet has a speicific worry I would NEVER put this dog through a neuter surgery.There is actually no compelling medical reason to neuter male dogs.Read for yourself and decide...This is a MEDICAL paper, not animal rights propoganda.----------------------On balance, it appears that no compelling case can be made for neutering most male dogs, especiallyimmature male dogs, in order to prevent future health problems. The number of health problems associatedwith neutering may exceed the associated health benefits in most cases.On the negative side, neutering male dogs• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is acommon cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.(for those with comprehension issues the above is the Only reference to eary neuter, everything below is neutering at any age)• increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6• triples the risk of hypothyroidism• increases the risk of progressive geriatric cognitive impairment• triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems• quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinationsOn the positive side, neutering male dogs• eliminates the small risk (probably <1%) of dying from testicular cancer• reduces the risk of non-cancerous prostate disorders• reduces the risk of perianal fistulas• may possibly reduce the risk of diabetes (data inconclusive)

• When we got Duke he was 5 years old and I asked our vet if he was to old to get him neutered and he said he wasn't and since we wasn't going to use him for stud it would be better to get him fixed or he could get tummers around his butt and get other diseases. Ask your vet and he will probably tell you the same thing. He will be a healthier and happier boy

• I am hopeful that your 10 year old dog enjoys good health. If your vet sees him and clears him of any blood disorders prior to surgery then he should have a safe, comfortable recovery, and since this is done under anesthesia, it would be a good time to do a nice dental cleaning, clip his nails and give his skin a 100% exam.Great question!Best of luck, older guys need a break and are so rarely considered for rehoming.