Can a Mastiff and a blue tick have puppies?

I have a male mastiff and a female blue tic. I was wondering if those dogs mix

I have a male mastiff and a female blue tic. I was wondering if those dogs mix...
    General Dog Discussions : Can a Mastiff and a blue tick have puppies?...

• Can a Mastiff and a blue tick have puppies?

Can a Mastiff and a blue tick have puppies? General Dog Discussions
      I have a male mastiff and a female blue tic. I was wondering if those dogs mix

Can a Mastiff and a blue tick have puppies? General Dog Discussions
    • Technically, yes. But a blue tic is much, much smaller than the mastiff. It is likely that she COULD NOT carry the babies to full term, and would have to have an abortion to save her life.

• they "can"but the female may have a hard time whelping, or may even require a cecarian. Mastiff mix pups may be too large for her to whelp naturally.Why would you even want to make this mix? What advantage would it be? Its clearly not a working dog, since the breed types are so different.. you'd essentially "wash out" any working value by mixing them.

• Yes, they could. The question is, would it be safe for the female? Since a mastiff is huge and a blue tic hound isn't as big, it probably wouldn't be too safe. If the male was the blue tic and the female was the mastiff, it would probably be better because the puppies wouldn't put a big strain on the dog. Just like if you breed a male German Shepherd with a female Chihuahua, the Chihuahua would definitely die giving birth to such big pups. It obviously wouldn't be as dangerous as that, but I still wouldn't chance it.

• Any two dogs that are not spayed/neutered can breed. But the Mastiff is larger and therefore your smaller female will most likely die or need a c-section. Call your vet in the morning and have them both spayed/neutered immediately.

• There's no genetic reason they couldn't. However, your female will probably have huge issues carrying puppies that are half Mastiff to term. It could lead to the death of some or all of the puppies and most likely, also high medical bills for the mother, or the loss of her as well.Beyond that, why on earth would you want to produce more mixed breed, large dogs? Unless both dogs have amazing field trial records, no mixed breeding should be done. Mastiffs are prone to a huge amount of joint issues, has your male been OFA certified? Has the female? If not, don't breed them. I worked as a vet tech, and with a rescue and did animal control in a small town. I can't tell you how many dogs I saw every year that were killed in shelters or dumped on the road because it's almost impossible to re-home large mixed breed dogs. Any dog that's half Mastiff will be giant, and anything half blue tick will be high energy. That's an almost impossible combination for someone to deal with. Breeding should only be done with either pure bred dogs that would improve the breed or mixed breed dogs that produce AMAZING working dogs. Otherwise, there's no reason to add to the problem of homeless dogs.The best (and healthiest) thing would be to have both of your dogs fixed. Again, giant breeds (like your male) have short life spans anyway. An intact male dog will almost surely develop prostate problems later in life and an intact male dog is always at risk for testicular cancer. Having him neutered will remove the risk of him developing testicular cancer (which is abundant in dogs, btw) and drastically reduce the risk of him developing prostate problems. He'll also be a much better pet.Your female need to be spayed to eliminate the chance of accidental breeding, uterine and ovarian cancer, and life threatening uterine infections (pyometras) that require expensive emergency surgery to save the dog. It will also drastically reduce her chance of coming down with mammary cancer as an older adult. Having her fixed will also keep packs of random stray male dogs from hanging around trying to get to your female while she's in heat.So, in short, no, those two dogs should not breed, for a variety of reasons. Get them fixed.

• They can but they should not. The mastiff is much larger than the blue tick which will result in serious complications possibly including a c-section or even death. Spay or neuter at least one of them if you can't keep them properly separated when she is in season. If they already mated then get a gravid spay done this week.