In the middle of adopting a dog from a rescue group we found out he's heart is enlarged?

Saturday the foster mom of a 5 year old dog coonhound we want to adopt is coming for a home visit, he is coming with her. We had two interviews over the phone already. The adopted owner had taken the dog to the vet. The dog has had a slight cough. The…

In the middle of adopting a dog from a rescue group we found out he's heart is enlarged?

Saturday the foster mom of a 5 year old dog coonhound we want to adopt is coming for a home visit, he is coming with her. We had two interviews over the phone already. The adopted owner had taken the dog to the vet. The dog has had a slight cough. The…...
    General Dog Discussions : In the middle of adopting a dog from a rescue group we found out he's heart is enlarged?...

• In the middle of adopting a dog from a rescue group we found out he's heart is enlarged?

In the middle of adopting a dog from a rescue group we found out he's heart is enlarged? General Dog Discussions
      Saturday the foster mom of a 5 year old dog coonhound we want to adopt is coming for a home visit, he is coming with her. We had two interviews over the phone already. The adopted owner had taken the dog to the vet. The dog has had a slight cough. The vet did a chest X-ray and said they found nothing wrong with his lungs. But he does have an enlarged heart. They asked the vet a ton of questions and said they finally found someone who wants to give him a nice home. The vet said they didn't know what he's out come will be. He could live 6 months a year, two years or even years from now. My husband and kids have already met the dog and love him already. We are still considering adopting him. But we are concerned he could pass away and the kids would be heart broken. What are your thoughts? Is it a good idea to take him on? I would hate to give up on him if his heart isn't a huge problem? Any advice is welcomedHe has no heart mummer

In the middle of adopting a dog from a rescue group we found out he's heart is enlarged? General Dog Discussions
    • Did the vet offer any insight as to why the heart is enlarged?One of my dogs has an enlarged heart which is perfectly normal for the breed and when his heart got even bigger I panicked and had an echo done which was perfectly normal. He is a Champion racer, athletes tend too have enlarged hearts.I would question as to the reason for the enlarged heart.

• Please consider giving the dog a good home. You already like him, go through with the adoption.It is a given that your dog will die before you and the kids do, unless you're a very old person yourself -- that is part of pet ownership.There is no way to know that this dog will die sooner than a dog without an enlarged heart, the vet has already said there's no way to know.I have a dog with an enlarged heart, got her when she was 7 months old, she will be 11 years old in July and is still doing fine. She pants some and sometimes makes a clicking sound after a walk, but aside from that, she's just fine.She is also a hound, this is actually a very common condition and doesn't necessarily mean an early death for the dog.There are very cheap medications that help, should they be needed. My dog gets 1/2 of a pill that costs about 8.- for a 4 month supply - hardly a major cost. Aside from that, she's just like any other dog.If you like the dog, take a chance. You take a chance with any dog, so give this dog a good home, you won't be sorry.

• Without the vet doing an echocardiogram, it's really difficult to know what's going on in there.Yes, the medications are cheap enough...the majority of the meds used to treat the dog are also used in people, so you will be able to shop around for the best price.My dog just passed away from Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) with mitral valve (leaky valve). The reason the dog coughs is because since the heart doesn't work properly, the blood, instead of recirculating and going thru the body, is instead, backing up into the lungs.I was fortunate, the cardiologist, worked with me over the phone, adjusting meds. She wasn't looking to take me for a ride. She worked closely with my regular vet. I went to my vet every 3 mos for bloodwork (to make sure the drugs weren't doing any damage) and an echo every 6 mos.Again, without an echo, it's really hard to know. If you do decide to adopt this dog, know that there is currently a study going. The study is on dogs with heart issues on heart meds andhow they respond. To enroll in the study is free, the meds are free. Not all clinics are involved in it, so ask the cardiologist. If you do adopt this dog, you will want a Board Certified canine Cardiologist to work with, along with the regular vet.You need to walk into this with your eyes open. If you do decide to adopt the dog, I think if explained to the kids, that your giving a home to a special needs dog, that just needs a good, loving and caring home for however long he has.Good luck to you.